pictures of inside of rear ambulance door lower hinges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can tell you there are two rectangular plates with two threaded holes. One for the upper screws and one for the lower screws. These are held in with a spotwelded brackets. This allows the plates to float for adjustment. I would mount the doors using the top hinge and center the door in the opening then mark the lower hinge location. Can tell you because of the adjustment the hole in the tub is large enough to move the hinge around.

yeah this is the best picture I can find. holes in the back of the plate to let the hinge bolt go thru?
not really an area people photograph often. Like I said before Im going to remake the part I just need to see a bit more of it.

innerhinge mount.jpg

In the absence of a picture, follow the rule: form follows function. Measure the diameter of the outside hole in your tub. Subtract 6mm from that measurement (the size of the screw) That number is how much smaller your replacement plate needs to be than the pocket it rests in.

Capiche?

I had one of the floating plates missing so I popped out one and had an auto shop fabricate a new one.

I had one of the floating plates missing so I popped out one and had an auto shop fabricate a new one.

My 79 that didn't have the door or any doors when I bought it was missing one of the plates. In my pile of body scraps had a rear quarter panel that still had one plate in it. These are easy remove and add since only a single side of the bracket is spotwelded. Made it easy to put. Probably the reason why the original one was missing.

ok yeah those are exactly what im after. Thanks
So 5 pieces right.
2x floating piece with 2 tapped m6 hole.
2x covers for the floating pieces using marks clearance formula above
1x main piece that over laps the flange on the rail and the flange on the wheel well.

I'll get to work on this and get back to this post in a few days.
Thanks for your help!

wonder if anyone has one blown apart?

Yep sounds about right. The cover is spot welded only on one side like noted above, to facilitate bending of the tab. Someone might able to provide cleaner pictures (ie no rhino lining). I had to take an exacto knife to the lining on mine to figure out how to open it up since it was mostly covered..

Secretsquirrel

Just so happens that I have a 79 FJ40 tub that I'm waiting for cooler weather to cut it up and haul it to a recycler. If you are willing to wait I can probably get out there sometime next week and cut out the OEM hinge plate you need and send it to you for the price of postage.

PM me if you are interested.

As long as I'm at it I'll also cut out the spare tire carrier mounting plate in the event anyone needs it.

The rest of the tub is pretty well gone and not worth saving.

You probably already know this but when you drill the bolt holes into the skin of the tub you need to make the holes large than the bolts you are using so you can take advantage of the adjustability built into the backer plate floating nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom