pictures of grinding shift gate for 2 wheel low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
Anyone have a picture of grindng the shift gate off of the tranny for 2 wheel low? I have a 73 FJ40, so can I do this? What years is this trick good for?
Thanks.

You can just leave it out....

Or grind off the blue part

Last edited:
Can someone explain the benefits of 2 low. Is it so you can put around slower when not actually needing to engage the front?

i havent found any specifically unique benefit to having it. i have used my 2-low a few times, but unless i am sorely misinformed (alwyas a possibility), putting the truck in 4 low without locking the front hubs works out to be the same as 2 low... i guess it could be different in that with 2 low, all the power goes to the rear wheels, and in 4 low, the t-case splits the power...

if you have the thing apart, grinding the tab off impresses me as being just more fun crap to do to your truck, but otherwise, i wouldnt bother.

any (better) ideas?

e

2lo provides less wear and tear on the front drive train as most of the time on the trail you don't need 4lo. Getting out to lock hubs is a pain in the ass, easier to just reach down and shift into 4lo when you need it. Also, this mod will give you an additonal neutral between 2hi and 2lo. This is good if you are flat towing as neither d-shaft will spin while towing. In the N between 4hi and 4lo the front shaft spins.
-Brian

2 low is also nice in creeping traffic, pulling a boat up a ramp and other hard pavement situations where you do not want 4WD.

JMO

Ed

If this is so beneficial, may I ask the question, Why didn't Toyota do it?

Colorado Boy-74-FJ40 said:
If this is so beneficial, may I ask the question, Why didn't Toyota do it?
I think the possible answer would be that if you had it in low and first gear and romped on it you could fawk something up by sending all the torque to one axle.

??

Ed

In addition to all the above mentioned uses for 2 low.

Steep down hill, hard locker in front, big tires, sharp turn. Steering wheel is reluctant to cooperate in this situation when in 4 low. In 2 low the speed control is there and you can steer it too :cheers:

I use my 2lo quite frequently both on the street and while wheeling. When backing a trailer in tight quarters or backing a really short trailer that wants to jack-knife it really comes in handy. When wheeling sometimes I'll do a rear burn to get the tail to come around or slide off of a rock. Last weekend at GGG I used 2lo to get out of a tight spot that would have meant getting out the high-lift. It sure was a lot easier to reach down and slip the T-case shifter up a click than it would have been unloading my truck to get out the jack.

Hi All:

It is also nice to have 2LO without removing the front driveshaft - i.e. if you have front axle problems!

Alan
Seattle

I use my 2lo for rear digs. If I have the front pinned againt something I can sometimes slide the rear around with it in 2wd. It's fun!

also if you just undo your hubs and run it in 4wd low you can damage the spindle etc by spinning the shafts when their not locked to the free wheeling hubs i've been told

The Main reason I did it was to avoid "driveline windup" If you have lockers, and are locked in four wheel drive , when you turn in a circle, all 4 wheels will take different paths. When you put that together while driving on soild ground ie: slik rock, granite and a few others if you dont have a way to "undo" some of that stress... something will break! Plus some of the other ideas hear are good too.
like putting my trailer away.
I would just remove it altogether, mine has ben off for 6 years without a problem.

Here is the mod on a later ('78) shift gate:
MVC-764F.JPG

Cdaniel said:
Steep down hill, hard locker in front, big tires, sharp turn. Steering wheel is reluctant to cooperate in this situation when in 4 low. In 2 low the speed control is there and you can steer it too :cheers:

Thats why I am doing it.

Neither driveshaft will spin?????

bsilva132 said:
2lo provides less wear and tear on the front drive train as most of the time on the trail you don't need 4lo. Getting out to lock hubs is a pain in the ass, easier to just reach down and shift into 4lo when you need it. Also, this mod will give you an additonal neutral between 2hi and 2lo. This is good if you are flat towing as neither d-shaft will spin while towing. In the N between 4hi and 4lo the front shaft spins.
-Brian
Brian, The only way the rear d-shaft won't spin is if the rear wheels are off the ground, or it's removed , and inside the truck!!!!! Earl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom