Pictures of completed SOA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, though i'd post some pics of my completed soa for the rear only of my truck with sua in the front. Just want to let those who think it is a wierd setup know that it is great. I wll eventually got soa in the front but for now rear only. I used 2.5 inch Old man emu medium duty springs with stock shackles. Only thing pissing me off is the shackle angle, but it still rides reaaaaaaal smoooooth. The back sits a bit higher, but i LOVE the way it looks. I think i may remove the overload spring however, because it is limiting my flex. But man oh man does it flex beautifully now! Don't have any flex shots yet, but probably will tomorrow. Enjoy! Comments appreciated.
2348427947_926e4b43f3.jpg

2348428353_6202d54fb5.jpg

2349262606_8a0d02263e.jpg

Nice looking truck :)

The setup is a bit wierd looking, but I know what it feels like to do what you can do..
till the next garage pit stop.

:wrench:

Nice looking 40 - 2.5" springs on a SOA is up there, I'd remove the extra leaf if it doesn't result in too soft a spring. Then again, I prefer level to lower in the rear for some strange reason.

Badass, Nice truck! That front bumper turned out real nice as well. And I agree on removing the overload spring, as well as adding the trac bar.:cheers:

Yea removing the overload spring will probably happen soon. Is it limiting articulation at it's current state? Also, trac bar was in the plans until a few people started to tell me that because i used new springs, i wouldn't need one:confused:. I still think i need one. The other day when i was pulling my cousins fj in 4 low, i was pushin it real hard, and apparently no axle wrap.

no trac bar will equal broken pinion shafts..... don't ask me how I know:bang:

How about a close up of how your ubolt plate/shock mount sits on top of the axle....how much did you rotate the pinion? My rear only soa will just be stock (sagging) springs...don't think I will get the cool "hot rod" look with mine.

no trac bar will equal broken pinion shafts..... don't ask me how I know:bang:

Marshall can attest to my fun with pinions, here's my list of workbench trophies: 1) 2005 Upper 2 while SUA :bang:, 2) and 3) 2006 SOA with no trac bar - Fains Ford :bang: and Slick Rock (two days later :bang::bang:), and 4) 2007 Slick Rock with a beefy trac bar - too much traction and whole lot of skinny pedal :hillbilly:.

I go slow now - leastwise slow enough to break a chromoly rear shaft :D.

Looks like you didn't flip your rear springs - so with super stiff 2.5" lift springs you just might be ok as long as you're not hammering it - and from the looks of how clean your 40 is - can't see you doing that - no matter what you might think.

Trac bar would be a good addition - either way.

yea well the springs are new and the perches i got from ruffsuff are a lot longer that normal perches, they are supposed to help in preventing axle wrap, i'm not hard on the pedal.

As long as you're not heavy on the skinny pedal you'll be fine for a while... (key word a while)

I have no wrap bar, and I've done Rubicon, and several other trails with no problems. I like to finesse the 40, rather than to just romp on it though.

A wrap bar should be used though.. I have one planned in the near future

Last edited:
i wheeled my fj40 a long time ago sprung over on 2.5" lift springs and it was one of the most butt puckering experiences ever... on 36" tsl sx's ...

Since the springs are new, you might swing by a local construction site and pickup some cement-bags to chauffeur around for a weekend (return them when your done)...that should help in braking them in.

If you pull the springs, defiantly flip them around and arrange for lengthening your DS.

nice truck :beer:

Thanks for all the comments, i should have specified, by new i mean 6 months. The guy i bought them from said they had less than 300 miles.

You are getting conflicting info about your "track bar" because what you are referring to is a wrap bar or traction bar. You should call it a wrap bar to avoid confusion. Track bar is short hand for panhard which is the link in a linked suspension that locates the axle latterly.

I think it looks sketchy and won’t climb for shi&, I would ditch the lift springs and find some stock springs IMO. I guarantee my SOA cruiser on 40s sits lower than that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom