Pictures and Info on Factory Suspension Seats ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.oz40.com
Well I picked up some suspension seat bases for my BJ 74. Has anyone got any pictures of them fitted ?

Also do they take the factory non suspension seat or do you need a different seat ?

I'm going to be putting these in my 73 in the next few days. They do not bolt into a non-suspension seat truck, both the floor and the seats are different.

This thread has the only pictures (that I've found) on mud of the floor modifications - the non-suspension floor has a longer rib across the tranny hump that needs to be cut, as well as a "tower" at the seat corner which needs removal:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/340391-suspension-seat-bases.html

The seats themselves are a little trickier - the outboard attachment points on non-suspension seats are very tall in order to reach down to the floor. This part of the seat is the "spring assembly" underneath the cushion, essentially the main component of the seat bottom, so you'll probably be better off finding original suspension seats instead of trying to swap spring assemblies.

Since I'm in the states, original suspension seats are probably unobtainium, so thats not an option. It looks like the mounts are spot welded to the rest of the spring assembly, so my plan is to try and drill the welds and make a new mount and pop-rivet it into place (I weld very poorly, but I'm pretty good at bending bar stock :)).

I'll post up a thread when I dig into it.

What I need to know is if the inboard mount on the nonsuspension seats is already the proper height (it looks close, maybe too tall) or not. Can anyone shoot a picture from somewhat underneath their suspension seat setup so I can see roughly how tall the mounting features on the seat itself are? Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and info.

Ok .. looks like the suspension seat bases will be getting some Recaro's and some floor mods are in line.

I went from non to suspension and know the drill.

1) you need the bases AND the bottom frame of the suspension seat (noted, the flat based ones vs the non suspension that have a long leg on outside. $35 had an upholsterer in 24 hours switch the covers and rebuild the foam - such a deal!

2) Mot (thanks man) got me the suspension rib- I drilled out the spot welds on the wide non suspension one and used liquid nails to glue the new rib in- it is a $60 part from Toyota.

3) the rearward front seat towers have to be removed and I trimmed and folded down the carpet to be flush.

4) all the sheet metal bosses are there in the floor pan just the weld in nuts for the suspension bases are not so I used a nut, lock washer, and wide washer to bolt them in.

There is a little carpet slop from the front rib being smaller, but I only notice it when I vacuum the carpets.

ride is niiiiicccceeee.

Last edited:
I went from non to suspension and know the drill.

1) you need the bases AND the bottom frame of the suspension seat (noted, the flat based ones vs the non suspension that have a long leg on outside. $35 had an upholsterer in 24 hours switch the covers and rebuild the foam - such a deal!

2) Mot (thanks man) got me the suspension rib- I drilled out the spot welds on the wide non suspension one and used liquid nails to glue the new rib in- it is a $60 part from Toyota.

3) the rear seat tower has to be removed and I trimmed and folded down the carpet to be flush.

4) all the sheet metal bosses are there in the floor pan just the weld in nuts for the suspension bases are not so I used a nut, lock washer, and wide washer to bolt them in.

There is a little carpet slop from the front rib being smaller, but I only notice it when I vacuum the carpets.

ride is niiiiicccceeee.

Why do you have to remove the rear seat ?

Do you happen to have any pictures of your seats sliders or the floor area ?

I just finished putting in my bases. Pics in a few hours. :) Amazingly, all the captive nuts were in the tub, all you had to do was drill through the floor to find them.

I'm going to be putting these in my 73 in the next few days. They do not bolt into a non-suspension seat truck, both the floor and the seats are different.
Bases will fit you will find the captive nuts under the floor,
Cheers
Gary

Ok so did you guys who had the buts in the floor have to remove the cross member section as details by rick_d ?

steel art-

see the edit- it is the rear towers of the front seat.

btw, I also moved my rear seats back 4" for legroom. I got trays from a CDN BJ70 (thanks Phil) to get the lock down bars in the right (new) place.

steel art-

see the edit- it is the rear towers of the front seat.

btw, I also moved my rear seats back 4" for legroom. I got trays from a CDN BJ70 (thanks Phil) to get the lock down bars in the right (new) place.

Ok, what are trays ?

if you take a bottom of a front seat apart you are left with three pieces:

cover (material)
padding (foam)
and a stamped piece of metal (tray)

I picked up my suspension bases from an old 1985 BJ70 which had rotten material and foam and stripped them down to just the metal. You don't need anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom