Picture of damaged trunnion bearing roller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
So, when I did my birfs a few weeks ago, I found that one of my trunnion bearings was shot. I saved it and finally took a picture of it tonight.

Here is a picture of it.

I have reciepts for a front end service 40K miles ago, but I didn't check to see if the trunnion bearings were done. It is at 182K now.

It handles a lot better with all new bearings in the front end. :)

Charlie
small_trunnion.jpg

If they didn't specify that they replaced them, they probably didn't. And, by the looks of them in the pic, I think it's safe to say they certainly didn't.

Most shops do not realize the importance of replacing the trunion bearings. They support the entire front half of the vehicle and they get the shiznit kicked out of them. I have seen bearings with 1/2 that mileage that looked just as bad. I doubt very seroiusly that unless you went to a specialty shop such as Slee Off Road, Urban Land Cruisers or Man-a-fre that they would even suspect that trunion bearings could be an issue.

Worn trunions can affect camber, caster and toe. Front end alignment with worn trunions is a moving target at best. Every time you do a sweep the measurements change....... :rolleyes:

I replaced mine when I repacked my birfs at around 90k. Already at that mileage I was surprised at how much more precisely the truck tracked with fresh, tight knuckle bearings. Mine looked fine, too. If your 80 tends to dart around, or follow cracks, this would be the #2 suspect after loose wheel bearings. Those look seriously trashed - wow.

elmariachi said:
I found and bought 20 Koyo 30304 ajr bearings so that I will NEVER be without.
Is that the same as the Timken 30304?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom