Pics & specs of non-Cruiser daily drivers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
I have a couple different threads going as I'm looking for a fun, inexpensive and reliable daily driver. I can't justify driving my Cruiser 20K plus per year needed for my job any longer. I'd rather build it into a more HD trail/fun rig. So please post a picture, a few quick specs and why you chose what you did for a DD if it's not a Cruiser! Thanks in advance! FYI - I don't care if it's a Yugo, Pinto, BMW, Camry, Porsche, etc...

Daily Driver

Well, living in CO and now in the Carolina mountain, I have to say my outback wagon, 03' has been an amazing car. I take in all over the place, including wooded trails for property visits, gets 25 mpg and is AWD. I have had little maintainace trouble since I bought it in 03. It is a great all around car!

Volvo 240 wagon... They're readily availible for not too much money. As long as they don't rust, they will last forever. Parts are cheap, they're easy to fix, and most of the time they keep running even when they are broken. The 5spd's get about 28mpg and will cruise comfortably at 80. Not to mention that you can fit just about anything in the back of a 240 wagon, and it will tow an FJ40. If you mount a good set of snow tires, they go like stink through the white stuff. (I pulled a wrangler out of a ditch with mine this past winter. The jeep driver definitely left with his tail between his legs) And lastly, although not everyone will agree with me on this, they're just plain cool. Cheap to insure too.

Volvo 240 wagon... They're readily availible for not too much money. As long as they don't rust, they will last forever. Parts are cheap, they're easy to fix, and most of the time they keep running even when they are broken. The 5spd's get about 28mpg and will cruise comfortably at 80. Not to mention that you can fit just about anything in the back of a 240 wagon, and it will tow an FJ40. If you mount a good set of snow tires, they go like stink through the white stuff. (I pulled a wrangler out of a ditch with mine this past winter. The jeep driver definitely left with his tail between his legs) And lastly, although not everyone will agree with me on this, they're just plain cool. Cheap to insure too.

I've always loved the Volvo wagons. Didn't realize they got pretty good mileage. Unfortunately, my wife freaking hates all volvo wagons?

Drove this for a little while, but have since sold it to fund other stupid things.

Overall, very fun car and a blast to drive. I hope to get into something small and sporty again soon. My only complaints; having to rev the hell out of it to get to any good power and it being front wheel drive. P.O. did all the crap to it, but it handled great. Gas mileage for a honda was less then satisfying; i averaged 19-20mpg(premium fuel only) which is probably attributed to driving style.
9dcc_3.JPG
a33a_3.JPG

Dont have any pictures at the moment, but the current daily driver is a black 1989 Toyota Cressida.

It has been the best bang for the buck, vehicle wise. Although automatic, it is RWD with a NA 3rd gen supra motor so the power is very smooth and consistant. At any where from 60-100mph it is as smoother, if not smoother then a stock 100 series. In my five months of ownership i've spent $40 on a t-stat housing and 200 on brakes. It averages 18-22 mpg on 87 octane.
I will try my best to NEVER sell this thing, it will make an amazing backup vehicle.

Price - $1500.

DD

makes me want to take the long way to work...
lhs d10.jpg

makes me want to take the long way to work...

Thought about a motorcycle, but I sell kitchen cabinets for a living. May be a bit tough to haul my samples!?

Best car I've ever owned:

ES300-1.jpg

Glass smooth on the highway, amazingly quiet, 28 mpg average.

Best car I've ever owned:

ES300-1.jpg

Glass smooth on the highway, amazingly quiet, 28 mpg average.

Lexus are boring, but AMAZING vehicles! I guess boring is ok in a DD when you have a Cruiser!?

Actually, I got rid of my Cruiser (FJ62) to buy that car. I got tired of chasing leaks, fixing stuff, and 13 mpg. Somebody made me an offer, so I made the deal.

And those cars look boring, but they are a BLAST to drive. The good part is the cops also think you're an old grandpa driving it, so they don't even look at you, they chase after the punks driving the riced-out BMW and Acura.

So you're probly not interested in this. Think of it as an economical Land Cruiser. I'm averaging about 26 mpg on a 22 yr. old wagon with a carb that idles high and the 4WD works. OH YEAH!!!!!!!!

P.S. I have cleaned the garage since this pic was taken.
DSCN0936 (Medium).JPG

I DRIVE A STRATUS!!! PEOPLE FEAR ME, I CAN DO 10 PUSHUPS!!!
---Will Ferrell, SNL

No, seriously, I drive a stratus daily to work. I'm in the Army, and it seems that in my MOS, testosterone big trucks are a dime a dozen, so I am mocked for it, but I know it is okay, cuz the cruiser is broken anyway...

Dont have any pictures at the moment, but the current daily driver is a black 1989 Toyota Cressida.

It has been the best bang for the buck, vehicle wise. Although automatic, it is RWD with a NA 3rd gen supra motor so the power is very smooth and consistant. At any where from 60-100mph it is as smoother, if not smoother then a stock 100 series. In my five months of ownership i've spent $40 on a t-stat housing and 200 on brakes. It averages 18-22 mpg on 87 octane.
I will try my best to NEVER sell this thing, it will make an amazing backup vehicle.

Price - $1500.

One of my favorite cars also. I had an 84 Cressida, 5spd, leather, suroof and also an 88 Cressida. Drove them both like they were Supras and never had a problem. I check occasionally for 92 models, the last year made.

I have an 07 Yaris as a DD. It was cheap new (12k). It is a hatchback, so I can throw mad gear in the back for a subcompact. Had a 8' kayak in it last week (they don't make a roof rack for it the only problem I have had so far). I get 38 mpg and I flog the hell out of it. got it in June of 06 and it turned 54k this week.

Wifes DD
4runnersaLEPICS074.jpg

My Current
4runnersaLEPICS072.jpg

The Tacoma used to be mine until I bought the 60- its all about give and take right- although the 4runner rides oh so smooth. They both get around 18-20mpg with a light foot.

I drive an 95 fd ranger 4bnger with the 5 spd. Price was right (free) but they can be found for dirt cheap and it gets over double what my cruiser gets. 22mpg mixed.... most people get 26 though so i've got some investigating to do. DD really depends on how much you want to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom