Pics of Rhino Liner / LineX or homegrown bedlined 100 series?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, my paint job looks like hammered dog crap. I've lived with it for 2 years, and could probably deal with it for longer, but I'm starting to think about painting it. I'd love to Rhino/LineX it but not sure I want to drop $3k+ into it. Allot more things I can do w/ that money. Who has painted or bedlined their truck themselves? Anyone have pictures? I searched, but alot of the home done pictures are off the server.

Next question, how do the badges come off? Are they screwed from the back or do they just pop off?

Current paint scheme.

IMG_2986.jpg

Builds - Rocklander Build Not a 100 but this guy has a lot of good stuff in his Build thread as well as a great perspective that he details nicely.

He Bed Lined a 200

I saw one on here somewhere that someone did a 100 ....

If your thinking of having it sprayed with bedliner and the price is $3k- you're not too far away price wise from a proper paint respray. Bedliner is the nuclear option (IMO) theres no going back. On built jeeps and crawlers it can look cool but I haven't seen a liner'ed cruiser that I thought looked very good. You can shoot it yourself, but its messy (overspray gets everywhere)- challenging to get a really even covering with out some practice, and requires substantial ventilation and a good cartridge mask.

Alternately learn how to wrap it, @FxFormat did a great DIY job on his LX.

Unless you REALLY want bedliner, I'd consider ordering one of those home "dip your car" kits for the time being. If done properly, it can look fairly decent, costs around $5-600 and can be a good temporary while you save up to actually repaint it.

I'd wrap it or paint it. One thing about liner coatings is that they hold onto dirt like MAD. They are nearly impossible to keep clean (if you care about that). Also, once done, there is no going back. As said above.....newcular option as George Bush Jr would say.

The way I look at it is that this is a 20y/o car w/ 240k on the odometer. I've always been one to enjoy having something that's not seen every day. I also have never cared enough about cars to wash and wax them regularly. I run a car through the car wash about once every other month and wax about once every 20 years or so (been driving for 27 years and think I actually waxed a car once).

Do understand that bedliner is a final option, but from everything I've read and I've seen plenty of trucks with the beds sprayed, it's something that I'll never have to worry about doing again. Who knows, I may end up having it done professionally if I can get it done for around 3, and not 7k.

Check out @duggy build thread on his 'famous' 100 that he SAS'd and lined (one of my all-time favorite threads). RIP to that beautiful rig but hopefully it'll give you some inspiration, plus it's a great read if you got extra time to kill

Duggy's Build Thread: 1998 Land Cruiser #SAS100

My buddy has the bottom portion of his 80 lined. It's cool I guess, but wouldn't be for me. To me, it screams "I'm covering something up".

I see your point about being a 20 year old car with 240k on it. However, all of my 100s have had over 200K on them and none of them looked any worse than a 3 year old truck with 50k on it. These can still be very nice vehicles that impress plenty of passengers. They don't automatically turn into junk just because they have some years and miles under their belt.

I'd echo the plasti-dip route. At least if you do that and go to sell the truck, you're not eliminating about 95% of potential buyers because there's a non-removable finish on the truck.

If I were to bed-line any vehicle, I would probably choose a color the fades gracefully (not black) and also apply it on the smooth texture side of the scale.

Considering linex-ing mine after a big dent required the side of the truck to be repainted. Would be cheaper to DIY linex it. Debating color, either army green, blue, or red

Considering linex-ing mine after a big dent required the side of the truck to be repainted. Would be cheaper to DIY linex it. Debating color, either army green, blue, or red

Army green definitely!!

I agree that it may be tougher to get a decent price if you do decide to sell it. With that said, it's your ride so ultimately you need to do whatever you want.
I've helped do a few vehicles with Raptor Liner which is available from Amazon. That is a good product from my experience and there is a ton of information on the prep and process.

Amazon product ASIN B01CKE7M7M
Tripper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom