Pics of my LX450 crash in Springfield, MO -Aug 14, 06 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fuelgeddes said:
Glad no one was hurt real bad...

A compound fracture will make you wince pretty good.

ARB= saving insurance deductable the first front end collision you have.
I T'd a saturn when he cut left in front of me when I had my FJ62 with the ARB mounted. I hit him in the DS rear 1/4 and spun him like a top, shattering the rear window and rear 1/4, not to mention breaking his glasses and bouncing his head off the DS window. I got out and checked on him, not even thinking twice about my truck.
Then I walked over to my bumper and wiped the grean paint/ plastic from his car off with my thumb. That was it. Not even a scratch on the bumper.
With a stock bumper, I probably would have had to replace the front grill, possibly the rad, the light valence, PS front 1/4, and possbly the hood and maybe a tire.
The ARB is WELL worth it in my opinion!
P.S. glad the family is OK and there were no fatalities.

IdahoDoug said:
Frank,

I've always been amazed at the violence of a deploying airbag, having seen a few of them purposely deployed. They can cause serious injury in and of themselves, and the system that decides when they should go or not attempts to toe the line as to when the risk of that injury is outweighed by the risk of more serious injury by the crash in threshold situations. As speeds/impacts rise, there is progressively less doubt about their protective nature.

They go off with sufficient force to dislodge windshields, break wrists, and the sound is akin to a gunshot in the confined space of a car interior. Serious business. Glad nobody was hurt.

DougM

At work I now sit about 50 yards from our validation lab. There are a couple different block walls between the lab and my office area, but the first airbag test of the day always catches me off guard. The first day they did it after I moved into this area, I had no idea what the hell had happened. Sounded like somebody crashed into the building. I got up and looked around but no one else had even flinched because they knew what it was and were used to it. They often deploy about 5 or so per day, and I can't imagine intentionally being anywhere near it - unless I needed it in an accident.

Glad you're all o.k.

Wow, I'm impressed that the 450 suffered such minimal damage. I own a 96 AWD Turbo Talon with about 410 hp as well as an LC 80 (of course) and even though I have airbags in the Talon I wouldn't want to take on a 80 series from any angle. Now that feeling is reinforced even more.

I'm glad everyone is OK.

CELICA XX said:
I wonder how the ARB would hold up in that type of accident.

I've already seen Romer's pics... any others?
Yeah, here ya go. Got into an accident on August 5th. I ran a stop sign that was obscured by a tree (see pic) on a street I'd never been on before, and t-boned the Taurus in the picture. I didn't see the sign, and never even slowed down. My fault entirely. I was traveling the speed limit (~30 mph), the other vehicle probably 35-40. No one was hurt, thankfully. My first accident that was my fault in 13 years of driving (got rear-ended once). Estimate for fixing my truck is $10k. Insurance is going to cover it, but my rate will go up, and I'm probably going to get a ticket in the mail for running the stop sign.

I'm not sure whether my ARB helped or made things worse, both for me and the driver of the Taurus. Had I hit her driver side door instead of her fender, she probably would have been hurt badly. I may have suffered more front end damage without the ARB, but given that it's bolted to the frame, the frame was bent. Hard to say if it would have been with the stock bumper.

Despite what others have said (e.g., see the ARB link on the Man-a-Fre site in this thread above), I'm not sure that having an ARB bumper in a vehicle-on-vehicle collision is always a good thing, for either vehicle involved. I had an ARB on my Toyota pickup for 12 years before I sold the truck, and put one on the 80 because I do a lot of driving at night in the backcountry and also in Mexico. I've come close to hitting deer, pigs, livestock, etc. Hit a donkey once in Mexico in a Jeep Cherokee; an ARB would have definitely helped there. I'm having second thoughts about putting one back on the 80, although I probably will if the insurance will cover it.

Curious to hear any thoughts from others with an ARB who've been in similar accidents . . . Thanks.
FL000022_2.jpg
FL000006_3.jpg
FL000015.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Looks like everyone else got really bent and you need a new bumper! Typical Toyota situation. That's why I have 3 Toyo's in my driveway.
You didn't really like that POS stock bumper much anyway, did you? Take the insurance money and call ARB!

tommyd said:
I'm having second thoughts about putting one back on the 80.
Did the bumper cause additional damage to your vehicle?

Can you post better pics?

Because in Tommyd's case the accident was multidirectional it is hard to say if the ARB made it worse or lessened the damage.
Would a stock bumper have skipped off the side of the cross traffic vehicle instead of sticking it like the arb did and kind of dragging the 80's front end over to the DS.?
OR would the stock bumper have folded in and allowed the entire front end to get clipped off, engine radiatior, lights, grill etc.
Things to think about.

No one can say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet the damage would have been more severe with the stock bumper.

I have mixed feelings on the ARB and crashing. We didn't really feel like we were hit very hard, until we got out and looked. At that point, I realized the OEM bumper took a good majority of the impact. I expect the ARB would have barely been dented, however it speculate we would have been jolted significantly more.

Thoughts?

Frank

The stock bumper looks like it was the crumple zone. Much of the impact energy was absorbed by the stock bumper with minimal intrusion into the frame.

If there was an ARB bumper on there, that would have acted as a very stiff extension of the chassis and more shock would have entered the frame and passenger compartment. There would also have been more damage to the other car.

SpeedyCycles said:
I have mixed feelings on the ARB and crashing. We didn't really feel like we were hit very hard, until we got out and looked. At that point, I realized the OEM bumper took a good majority of the impact. I expect the ARB would have barely been dented, however it speculate we would have been jolted significantly more.

Thoughts?

Frank
It would make sense that that if there was less "give" in the bumper then you would feel more impact inside the vehicle. I would compare it to having no suspension while driving over a bump in the road. You would certainly get jarred more in the cabin than if you had suspension to help soak up the impact.

However I will say that even if you felt more impact inside the vehicle because of the stonger bumper some of the impact would be absorbed by the other vehicle and it would end up more severely damaged than if hit with the stock bumper.

CELICA XX said:
Did the bumper cause additional damage to your vehicle?

Can you post better pics?
Hard to say if the ARB caused "additional" damage. The frame was definitely bent (pushed over to one side); unsure if it would have been with the stock bumper. The hood and both fenders are bent badly; I think without the ARB, both headlight assemblies would have been toast. I just can't believe it's going to cost $10k. Guess that's what we have insurance for . . .
FL000014.jpg
FL000024.jpg
FL000025.jpg

tommyd said:
Hard to say if the ARB caused "additional" damage. The frame was definitely bent (pushed over to one side); unsure if it would have been with the stock bumper. The hood and both fenders are bent badly; I think without the ARB, both headlight assemblies would have been toast. I just can't believe it's going to cost $10k. Guess that's what we have insurance for . . .

Wow, 10K! I would get the check from the insurance company and get either do it yourself or get it done on the side by someone that knows what they are doing and can do it for MUCH less. The pics don't look that bad and I think you could use that extra cash for something that would benifit you more in the long run. This is only my opinion but 10K is a lot to give a body shop for something that looks so minor and would probably only take some minor frame straitening to repair. Especially since its most likely only the front and it's a ladder frame and not a unibody. Unibodys are a pain but the frame on an 80 would be a more straight forward repair which you could possibly do yourself if you were so inclined.

Hmmm...maybe we should be installing the stock front bumper in front of the ARB.

The stock bumper will be initial crumple zone and then the ARB will be there to be a chassis reinforcement/body protector.

Last edited:
pulse98 said:
Hmmm...maybe we should be installing the stock front bumper in front of the ARB.

The stock bumper will be initial crumple zone and then the ARB will be there to be a chassis reinforcement/body protector.

I'm thinkin maybe stock bumper, then the ARB, then another stock bumper, followed by a RAV 4 attached to the last stock bumper (all wrapped in industrial strength packing bubble wrap of course). :)

We are fighting with State Farm still. They want to use both aftermarket parts and USED parts on an all OEM 80 ?

I have a parts list, does anyone have these parts?

Front Bumper and brackets
Grille
Front Panel
etc.

Thanks,

Frank :beer:

If you planning to stick with OEM front bumper let me know... I have one it just almost new 99% in good condition and match your paint also, I will sell for cheap price...;) No dent.

How much for the bumper?

Wow that's insane. Was the person in the blue car allright?

Yeah, here ya go. Got into an accident on August 5th. I ran a stop sign that was obscured by a tree (see pic) on a street I'd never been on before, and t-boned the Taurus in the picture. I didn't see the sign, and never even slowed down. My fault entirely. I was traveling the speed limit (~30 mph), the other vehicle probably 35-40. No one was hurt, thankfully. My first accident that was my fault in 13 years of driving (got rear-ended once). Estimate for fixing my truck is $10k. Insurance is going to cover it, but my rate will go up, and I'm probably going to get a ticket in the mail for running the stop sign.

I'm not sure whether my ARB helped or made things worse, both for me and the driver of the Taurus. Had I hit her driver side door instead of her fender, she probably would have been hurt badly. I may have suffered more front end damage without the ARB, but given that it's bolted to the frame, the frame was bent. Hard to say if it would have been with the stock bumper.

Despite what others have said (e.g., see the ARB link on the Man-a-Fre site in this thread above), I'm not sure that having an ARB bumper in a vehicle-on-vehicle collision is always a good thing, for either vehicle involved. I had an ARB on my Toyota pickup for 12 years before I sold the truck, and put one on the 80 because I do a lot of driving at night in the backcountry and also in Mexico. I've come close to hitting deer, pigs, livestock, etc. Hit a donkey once in Mexico in a Jeep Cherokee; an ARB would have definitely helped there. I'm having second thoughts about putting one back on the 80, although I probably will if the insurance will cover it.

Curious to hear any thoughts from others with an ARB who've been in similar accidents . . . Thanks.

I would highly suggest that you do a google search for a traffic/moving violations attorney/ lawyer. Play with the combinations till you find a couple to call.

I have had enough experience driving 80k miles a year for quite a while to tell you that you can probably get that reduced to a loud muffler, bad tailight, or even dismissed.

Most attorneys will at least talk to you for free. You don't need the fine but most importantly you don't want that on your record if you can avoid it. I've paid $250-$300 for lawyers even when I was flat wrong and got speeding tickets dismissed. The fine is another $75-150 usually.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom