Pics of Front Tube Bumpers? Does anybody even have one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched around and Im having a hard time finding pictures of 80's with front tube bumpers. Most bumpers I see are fabricated "ARB" style. I was thinking of designing one for my 80 and I was hoping to get some ideas. My buddy has a shop with all the equipment and we built one for my 85 4runner (see pic).

Is there a reason why I cant find any? Are they considered too "ghetto" for TLC's? Or is a matter of them being to flimsy to handle the weight behind a moving 80? Any helpful direction would be great. Thanks

CIMG9978.JPG

I know 'generic' here on the board has one. Couldn't find any pics of it though. It's nice and up tight to the body for good approach angle.

I really like the one in the pic on the left (without such a high stinger). I really like tube bumpers as they allow you to really hug the body and provide great angles, plus they are easy to build winch mounts from. Im also considering buying a TJM T17 ( http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/bumpers/tjm_t17_front.htm ) and adding a light bar to the top of it. Thanks for the pics, I hope they keep coming!

FOR is bringing a prerunner style bumper to market, you can see the thread in the merchandise section.

FWIW, I think you are dead on designing a tube bumper for your 80. Tube offers the best strength to weight ratio for offroad use (stamped bumpers are typically relatively thin as you get to the wings to save weight and therefore exposed to rock damage if you crawl), and 80's are too heavy to start with. The difficult thing on the 80 is you don't have good side wing access to the frame for reinforcement - you can look at see how the FOR design is dealing with this.

I will have tube front and rear when it's all done (trimmed rear frame). Slee's new front bumper is sweet - it's the first I have seen that seems to improve on clearance substantially along the lines of going tube. At the end of the day, I like anything that cuts down weight and improves clearance, and still looks good.

I have a crazy idea for a tube bumper for the 80 series. Hopefully I'll have some time to work on it before Moab. Things are nuts around here.

100_0242-600x399.jpg

I believe this belongs to 95eighty on these forums. I love the thing.

Awesome, thanks for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom