pics of door speakers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished up installing some custom front door speaker pods. They are fully enclosed to enhance mid to low end that normally sounds weak due to speaker firing into entire door cavity. These babies sound awesome!!! I have installed a lot of stereos in a lot of different vehicles(kind of a big hobby of mine) and never heard 61/2 inch door speakers produce as much of a rich tone as these now do. They are also angled for sound imaging, hence the tweeter aimed at the windshiel for a higher sounding stage. They are wraped in grey vinal and blend in really nice - although I may be a little biased 8). As soon as I get done fiberglassing my sub encloseres I'll post pics of those too!!

Cross-over, sends high frequencies to the tweeter and lows to the 61/2. I decided to mount them where they are instead of just putting them inside the doors because this rig does go off road and may end up in wet stuff high enough to get inside the door panels.

Great work man! Really, great work! I can tell that you put a lot of time into it. Would you mention what sort of speakers those are? How about the amps that drive them. Also would you mention if you molded those enclosures or if you modified some existing enclosure, I'd love to know, I'm interested in the full scoop. It looks like you used the front half of the door pocket for anchoring the enclosure? Or is the front half of the door pocket part of the enclosure? I was wondering though wouldnt it sound even sweeter with the tweets pointed towards your ears and not towards the windshield; I would think it would be more imaged and even sweeter in terms of less time delay? Just a thought. Anyway, great work!

The speakers are Infinity 61/2 separates front, Infinty 51/4 rear, amp is an eclipse, and deck is a Kenwood, sub amp is Phenionix Gold as are subs(just not installed yet),Pheonix Gold 100amp circuit breaker, streetwires 1 farad capacitor-wires-and fuse block.
I molded the pods out of foam and fiberglassed the front half, removed foam and fiberglassed the back to fully enclose them. The door poket got modified to accept the size of the pods, not used for structure or anything like that.
As far as the tweets go, the goal with staging the front speakers is to make both sides as equal a length of distance from your ears, if they were angled towards your ears the door closest to you would be so dominating that you wouldn't really hear the other side. The time delay is so insignificant it's not noticable.
Thanks for the great comments, I put a s$%t load of work into these puppies. Any othe ?'s just ask.

Nice work! I like that the crossovers are mounted in a safe place. I was home a few weeks ago and fixing my bro's JL speakers in the stock space in the 91. I noticed that the crossovers were just singled bagged and placed inside the door. Needless to say the bag had torn and the crossover was wet...but luckly not broken. I had to rebag it and wait till I have more time...prob. spring break in 2 weeks to come up w/ a real solution. Again, nice job on the install, don't be scuffing em up w/ muddy boots after a trail ride ::)

-Matt

Very nice! That is one part of owning LCs that I miss. I just can't justify spending time and money for something that has to be in the elements all the time. I'm constantly hosing down my door panels. I have been thinking about making a small sub box in the rear that would connect in with sliding drawers and roll top to sleep on. You did an awesome job :beer: Nice fiberglass work ;) and even better vinyl work :D

Great install and good work w/ those panels.

2 questions:
1) How difficult was it to drop those tweeters in the door? Looks pretty easy, just cut the hole and drop them in...

2) Did you consider dropping the tweeters in anywhere else? I was thinking about the kick panels in my 97 LC. Angle them up to bounce off the lower dash and bounce back inbetween the driver and pasenger, at ear-level. My concern is, the soundstage may be to low going the kick panel route. However, I run the q-logic kick panels in my 94 toyata pick-up w/ bostons and the soundstage is ok.

My understanding is, that in general, having the speakers as far away as possible from your ears is the best way to get a realistic soundstage.

Suggestions? Comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom