Pics from Honduras

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by paulj, Jul 22, 2005.

1. paulj

paulj

I just got back from my trip to Honduras, Cruiser Heaven. This makes the fourth year my wife and I have gone on this trip sponsored by a church of some friends of ours. My wife worked teaching English to about 300 kids. I’ve always worked on construction in the past, but this year I volunteered to be the “gopher”, driving around Tegucigalpa to pick up needed supplies. It was a good decision, as it rained everyday, and the construction project was building a septic tank. In the past the church has rented a Prado diesel Land Cruiser for this purpose. They got one this year in addition to a 4 X 4 Mazda that I got to use. It was a nice rig with a/c, a 4 cylinder turbo, and a manual 5 speed. Comfortwise, it was similar to driving my FJ 60. Most of the driving was in the city but I did some wheeling when I had to drive some people to some remote villages which were up some pretty muddy roads in the mountains.
    As on past trips there were Cruisers everywhere. About the only model I didn’t see was the FJ 55. I saw lots of 40s, 45 pickups and Troopies, and tons of 70s. I even saw a convertible 70 series. (FJ 73?) Alas, I wasn’t able to get a pic as it passed me on the road. Basically, 4 X 4 driving is a way of life down there, as paved roads are mostly found in the cities. There’s at least one highway that connects the Caribbean and Pacific coasts, but I don’t think they have too many other major roads. In addition to Cruisers there are lots of Mazda and Nissan pickups which are mostly diesel. I also ran across a few Nissan Patrols and some ancient Land Rovers, including a Rover pickup.

2. paulj

paulj

This guy broke a birfield on a city street. I’m not sure if he did it by hitting the curb, or just ended up there. He got out and kicked the 80. I should have got out and asked him if it was a diesel and if he wanted to sell it.

3. paulj

paulj

My friend and fellow shopper Carl, a former Peace Corps volunteer in Honduras posing next to a BJ 70.

4. paulj

paulj

Rented Prado diesel

5. paulj

paulj

This 40 showed up at the clinic two days in a row. I spoke to the guy in the passenger seat who was looking to get an electric wheelchair. He was a quadra-palegic who was in the Honduran army and injured in a boat accident in the Mosquito Coast.

6. paulj

paulj

My favorite Cruiser of the trip was this 70 series Troopy ambulance.

7. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Very cool!

8. paulj

paulj

A couple more pics. The farm of one of the people we work with in the village, and a 45 LWB.

9. paulj

paulj

I guess that's actually a 70 series pickup. I got kind of excited trying to drive in the traffic and take the picture at the same time.

10. Trogdor

Trogdor

I really like that one.

11. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

So was that mazda like a Tribute... or something larger?

BTW, I'd take the Prado... I mean if they were giving them away ;)

12. 74fj40

74fj40

very cool pictures

13. paulj

paulj

I didn't even look at the data plate on the Mazda. They just handed me the keys and said, "this is what you'll be driving." I'm really envious of the trucks they drive in third world countries. That Mazda had great power for a 4 cylinder. It hardly slowed down charging up a steep hill on the highway. I drove it for a week and used only a half tank of diesel. A women we work with from the Episcopal Church of Honduras drives a Nissan 4 X 4 diesel pickup which is also a really nice little truck.

14. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Cool pics, looks like a great adventure.

15. barrypt5

barrypt5

I was thinking about this today and was wondering if anyone had answers...Are landcruisers (in particular) cheaper in places like Honduras than say the US? I was thinking directly along the lines of the countries tax structure and things being cheaper to import, I know the initial manufacutring cost would be the same but the emissions levels and other things will be considerably less strict than the US...with that in mind would things like ARB add-ons and others be cheaper than the US as well????

PS how were the fuel prices down in Honduras???

just curious

Barrypt5

16. paulj

paulj

Barry; I wanted to do a little bit of research into that, but just didn't have time when I was there. I looked in the want ads of the paper, and didn't see any Cruisers, but the prices of regular Nissans, Toyotas, etc. seemed more or less compatible with U.S. prices. I do have an email address for a Toyota dealership down there. PM me if you're interested, and I'll forward it to you. As for fuel, the diesel went for the equivalent of $4 per gallon. Like here, people down there are reeling from the fuel prices, but small vehicles are way more prevalent there than they are here. As in most countries that have fuel prices that high, half of the price is taxes.
    The priest we worked with, Padre Luis, drives a Toyota mini-truck. I don't know which model it is, but it has a 22-R engine he wants to swap out to diesel. I brought him some photocopies from a book I have that has specs on Cruiser gas and diesel engines. He told me he could get a used "B" series diesel engine for $1,500. Does anyone know if you can swap a 22-R for a diesel in a mini-truck?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.