Picking up my pickup truck: HJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.behance.net
Howdy, y'all!
Picking up my HJ45 pickup truck in West Palm Beach, Florida, and driving it to the Sarasota area-to a family mechanic-later today. Flew in from Arizona to do this and will be picking up the truck in the summer to drive it home to Arizona.

Right now it has a perpetually draining battery, according to my friend, who is selling it to me. Says he installed a new battery, drove it, and the battery was dead when he went to restart. Needs a jump every time-but starts immediately.

I would have loved to work on it and figure out the issue, but I only have today before I fly back. So the mechanic will be able to at least go over it for now.

I am planning on making this an expedition vehicle with a homemade light camper on the back, with the pop-up sleeping roof. Looking into replacing the 4 speed tranny with a 5 speed, but still figuring this all out: I have zero experience with this vehicle or diesel.

My focus will be reliability. No huge tires: 33" pizza cutters at most, but maybe less.

Here are some pictures:
IMG_4691.jpeg

IMG_3966.jpeg

IMG_3968.JPEG

This is the look I like: the old school safari/military look...
IMG_1043 3.JPG

IMG_1044 3.JPG

How fast does it drain? Glow plug relay fault perhaps?
Stop, tail, headlights, lighter (and glove box light) and maybe wipers are still live when the ignition is off... could be one of those.
My safari truck started life like yours before it was converted my Meano in Johannesburg.

Screenshot_20230210-180302_eBay.jpg

Good luck. a HJ45 would be one of my last choices for a long-distance travel vehicle with today's options

Good luck. a HJ45 would be one of my last choices for a long-distance travel vehicle with today's options

I overland an HJ47 - one side of Australia to the other at least 1-2 times a year. I love the simplicity of the vehicle and engine - makes diagnosis and maintenance so easy. No power steering, no A/C, no 5 speed, no coils, no turbo. This is the way. #nosoftcocks

I overland an HJ47 - one side of Australia to the other at least 1-2 times a year. I love the simplicity of the vehicle and engine - makes diagnosis and maintenance so easy. No power steering, no A/C, no 5 speed, no coils, no turbo. This is the way. #nosoftcocks
I’m glad you’re happy

Picked up the truck and drove it across to North Palmetto. Unfortunately, by the time I got on the road, it was late and the whole drive was pretty much at night. I really wanted to do a lot of filming but the night made it impossible-that and the fact that the mechanic was going to have to meet me at the shop and I didn't want to make him wait any more than necessary on a Saturday night. By the time I got there it was almost 1AM!
Still, it was a great experience and I will be editing a video soon. Won't be the video I wanted to do, but it will be the one I have.

How fast does it drain? Glow plug relay fault perhaps?
Stop, tail, headlights, lighter (and glove box light) and maybe wipers are still live when the ignition is off... could be one of those.
My safari truck started life like yours before it was converted my Meano in Johannesburg.

View attachment 3277284
OH WOW! BEAUTIFUL TRUCK!!!

We noticed it had a a very large battery tray, so I bought a second battery and hooked it up. Charged the other battery. Together they were reading 80% when I cranked it up, and the truck started! No issues. Ran great the whole time.
Turn signals weren't working, nor the flashers, but the lights and break lights worked fin. Windshield washers (I meant WIPERS) worked but so slow that they would be useless. There are definitely issues, but that's all solvable.
The mechanic will be going over it, so that will help. Funny because he's from South America and said he hadn't seen a truck like that since he was a kid. He was smiling.

I will post more later.

Last edited:
I can see where you're coming from, but I find it to be pretty much perfect due to the simplicity of it. With sound proofing and insulation, and an overdrive/5Speed, it should be perfect for me.

Sounds like an awesome setup!
I love the simplicity too-it's my main draw to this truck.
I am looking at the 5 sped or some form of overdrive because here in the states there are times I will need a little more speed. I'm fine if I can do 60mph without winding up the engine too much. I will add power steering, and it already has air conditioning from Vintage Air.
I'm with you about the simplicty. I loved my Jeep TJ's coil suspension, but it also made fixes etc. very complicated. I am very happy to have leaf springs again!

Hi Joe and welcome to Mud, your new home! :flipoff2:
Congrats for your purchase and your plans for her!

Which is the country of origin of your LHD truck, if I may ask?

Sounds like an awesome setup!
I love the simplicity too-it's my main draw to this truck.
I am looking at the 5 sped or some form of overdrive because here in the states there are times I will need a little more speed. I'm fine if I can do 60mph without winding up the engine too much. I will add power steering, and it already has air conditioning from Vintage Air.
I'm with you about the simplicty. I loved my Jeep TJ's coil suspension, but it also made fixes etc. very complicated. I am very happy to have leaf springs again!

The H engine will do 60mph fine, it'll wind up a bit but not that much - fine if you want to keep up with the rush for a little while. My 2H coupled to the H41 4 speed is fine - similar engine. I dont like to do 60mph but if the situation demands it I will.

The only bolt on overdrive option is the Fairey - they were kinda junk even when new. A 5 speed option will require an H55F and drive shaft changes (front and back). I'm not heard of anyone bolting an H55F to the H Bell Housing - theoretically it should bolt up but I wouldn't hang all that weight off the bell housing mounts that the HJ45 has so a transmission cross member would be advisable. A bit of a frankenstein build and honestly the H55F's 5th gear isn't that great - its weak from factory (a bolted on overdrive in fact) and even in my dailydriver HJ60 (with H55F) I'm quickly out of 5th if I think its even slightly loaded up, consequently I'm mostly in 4th anyhow. The H41 is a much more rugged reliable box and they are chump change to replace if something goes bad compared to the replacement cost of an H55F

Overdrive and 5 speed are both overrated upgrades.

There is no easy path to power steering on an HJ45.. honestly, try the vehicle without it for a while, you'll get used to it. Keep the tyres well inflated. Armstrong steering isnt that bad if you plan ahead and there's less engine bay clutter, belts, pulley and radiator mods to do. Drive your armstrong s***box with pride, you'll be a man amongst men.

My HJ47 out and about.. even with 33" tyres I manage fine without power steering and all of the other guff that everyone seems to think has to be added Top 10 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/rSE6ECfDAuvh3cyk9

Last edited:
OH WOW! BEAUTIFUL TRUCK!!!

We noticed it had a a very large battery tray, so I bought a second battery and hooked it up. Charged the other battery. Together they were reading 80% when I cranked it up, and the truck started! No issues. Ran great the whole time.
Turn signals weren't working, nor the flashers, but the lights and break lights worked fin. Windshield washers worked but so slow that they would be useless. There are definitely issues, but that's all solvable.
The mechanic will be going over it, so that will help. Funny because he's from South America and said he hadn't seen a truck like that since he was a kid. He was smiling.

I will post more later.
I guess you meant wipers? Mine were very slow since a PO had rewired them onto a different fuse via a thinner cable - they should be on with ACC key position on the blue-red wire I think.
Check your ignition switch connector. They can take a lot of current when they're tired, so bad connection can melt your harness and make things much worse.

The H engine will do 60mph fine, it'll wind up a bit but not that much - fine if you want to keep up with the rush for a little while. My 2H coupled to the H41 4 speed is fine - similar engine. I dont like to do 60mph but if the situation demands it I will.

The only bolt on overdrive option is the Fairey - they were kinda junk even when new. A 5 speed option will require an H55F and drive shaft changes (front and back). I'm not heard of anyone bolting an H55F to the H Bell Housing - theoretically it should bolt up but I wouldn't hang all that weight off the bell housing mounts that the HJ45 has so a transmission cross member would be advisable. A bit of a frankenstein build and honestly the H55F's 5th gear isn't that great - its weak from factory (a bolted on overdrive in fact) and even in my dailydriver HJ60 (with H55F) I'm quickly out of 5th if I think its even slightly loaded up, consequently I'm mostly in 4th anyhow. The H41 is a much more rugged reliable box and they are chump change to replace if something goes bad compared to the replacement cost of an H55F

Overdrive and 5 speed are both overrated upgrades.

There is no easy path to power steering on an HJ45.. honestly, try the vehicle without it for a while, you'll get used to it. Keep the tyres well inflated. Armstrong steering isnt that bad if you plan ahead and there's less engine bay clutter, belts, pulley and radiator mods to do. Drive your armstrong s***box with pride, you'll be a man amongst men.

My HJ47 out and about.. even with 33" tyres I manage fine without power steering and all of the other guff that everyone seems to think has to be added Top 10 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/rSE6ECfDAuvh3cyk9
Cool truck indeed!

I guess you meant wipers? Mine were very slow since a PO had rewired them onto a different fuse via a thinner cable - they should be on with ACC key position on the blue-red wire I think.
Check your ignition switch connector. They can take a lot of current when they're tired, so bad connection can melt your harness and make things much worse.
Yeah I meant wipers! Thanks for pointing that out-I hadn't even noticed!
And thanks for pointing out the electric part!!!

Isn't there some kind of overdrive or adaptation that can go-let's say-between the rear dif and driveshaft? The front hubs being unlocked would allow for the rear to spin differently, right? Even if it was a manual activation/deactivation, that would be no big deal as you have to get out to lock the hubs anyway. It would be no problem when going off road to stop, engage the manual hubs, and then disengage the overdrive-like with a pull cable or something.

I really don't like the idea of really big tires or anything that would permanently change my gear ratio. I also don't like the idea of reving the engine that high for so long. If this was Australia or Africa, I'd be fine as is, because I'd be mainly off road. But here in the states there are times when highway is needed.

When I drove it this last Saturday, I thought I was going at least 50-55 and one of those radar things clocked me at 38mph!!!! I then pushed it more-not sure how much more, but no way did I like how that engine sounded so revved up.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not into speed, and whenever I can, even in my FJC, choose back roads. But damn if having the engine so spun out at 50mph isn't a damned nightmare. I want to be able to do 60mph without feeling like the thing is going to explode.

Right now the LC is running on a set of BFG A/T 265/75R16 on ProComp Alloy Wheels.

Also came with a set of Federal Couragia M/T 265/75R16 on stock wheels.

Nice tires but too wide at the tread for my taste.

I kind of like the stock wheels better. Don't know the offset or the width, but I suppose they ar3 probably better suited to the pizza cutters than the ProComp wheels.

I want to run pizza cutters: 9.5 at most, with a 7 or 8 tread width even better! Max diameter of 33" but likely less. I really like the look of the ones on this green LC:

img_1043-3-jpg.3275569

These look like maybe 30" tires to me.

Also, I plan on mounting the spare on the hood/bonnet. Maybe attaching a pair of lift assists underneath the hood to help opening it with he spare on.

The pics I took of the underside, for identifying if the t-case is a split one, came out blurry!!!
I was (and am) suffering through a cold, it was almost 1AM, the long slow drive for over 5 hours, it was raining, and I didn't want to keep the mechanic waiting since he was nice enough to meet me at his place that late. Should have checked the pictures but I was just not feeling too well.
Anyway, here's the only picture that came out OK, but doesn't show much.

Still, from what's there, can anyone tell if the t-case is a split or other type?
TCase_IMG_1637.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom