x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whatever tires that fit and snow chains should get the job done.

Snow plowing is hard on parts. Smaller tires, 31-35", and good chains. I would not go lower than 15-20 psi.

Snow chains and any damn tire you please underneath them. You can make an argument that a narrow tire is better. But chains are what matters. Full tire pressure.

Mark...

Out of curiosity, why would I pick narrower rather than wider?

I was giving some thoughts toward wider rather than normal 12.5" for 35" tires.

The narrower tire produces greater pressure per square inch of contact. Both "cutting down through the snow" and also compacting it into a firmer surface for the chains to bite into. On solid, already packed snow and on icy surfaces, the higher pressure helps the chains bite deeper. Wide tires never seem to help on a plow rig and often can easily be observed to be a disadvantage. When you plow, you are not looking to stay up on top of the snow the way you are when you are driving to drive through/over the snow just to get to the other side. You can't push snow with the plow if you are trying to stay up on top of it

Mark...

Don't try to use your recreational tires for your plow tires. Get some cheap tall and skinny... or even short and skinny tires to use when it is plow time.

The narrower tire produces greater pressure per square inch of contact. Both "cutting down through the snow" and also compacting it into a firmer surface for the chains to bite into. On solid, already packed snow and on icy surfaces, the higher pressure helps the chains bite deeper. Wide tires never seem to help on a plow rig and often can easily be observed to be a disadvantage. When you plow, you are not looking to stay up on top of the snow the way you are when you are driving to drive through/over the snow just to get to the other side. You can't push snow with the plow if you are trying to stay up on top of it

Mark...

I had a 1990 Ford Festiva. Don't remember the tire width but they were 12" rims. That thing would cut through snow like nobody's business. 4wd trucks with wide tires would sit and spin the tires and off I went. The only thing that held me back was ground clearance.

I had a 1990 Ford Festiva. Don't remember the tire width but they were 12" rims. That thing would cut through snow like nobody's business. 4wd trucks with wide tires would sit and spin the tires and off I went. The only thing that held me back was ground clearance.

But ya weren't plowing with it. ;)

Mark...

Yeah well that one time I drove from Toledo to Pittsburgh through a blizzard to see my girlfriend. They actually shut down the Ohio turnpike after I got on. Nuts but I made it.

@Mark W Thank you VERY much for the description and taking the time to describe.

In your opinion, is a 35"x12.5" tire too wide?

That would be wider than ideal for plowing. But if you have them and have chains to fit them, I am sure it would work fine. And if you get the rig into an softer snow while not pushing the plow, might even help some.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom