Picked up my 1st 40! WOO HOO! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...
Threads
Well, posted this first in chat, but Kind of turned into a tech question about my clutch....

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=71727

Slipping for a few seconds if I give too much gas in 4th. Only for the first few seconds - after that I can punch it to the floor and no slipping.

Wondering if pedal adjustment would get rid of this. Is there any chance that the clutch fluid is too think, and has become very viscous in the cold, and is taking longer to return the slave to the "fully engaged" position?

Bruce-

Where is your left foot at when the clutch is slipping?

Poser - um, in the passenger side footwell? Uh, out the window adjusting the mirror?...... Oh, no - wait - it's on the floor, under the clutch pedal!

(but seriosly) I do know how to drive standard, but also understand that it would have been a pretty simple solution had I been riding the clutch.

Thanks for looking for the simple solution!

OK, here is a pic, clutch pedal is not pressed at time of picture. Looks to me like someone was trying to squeeze a bit more life out of a clutch. PO Said he had the clutch replaced in the spring - cost him $800 (Cdn). This was less than 1000Miles ago. He doesn't have the recipts for it - I am wondering if he got screwed and all they did was adjust the slave position. Also looks like I have a bit more travel, should I adjust it the rest of the way - and a bit on the pedal? There is no freeplay in the arm that I could feel, although I didn't pull that hard.

Let me know what you think!

Bruce

Last edited:
Not much sense replacing the clutch without resurfacing the flywheel on these old girls

Bruce-

You would be surprised how many people talk about all their experience operating a manual transmission, and have no idea that they ride the clutch…

If you do not have any pedal free play in the cab, and there is no free play at the fork, it is entirely possible that things are not adjusted properly, and not allowing the pressure plate to fully clamp the disc to the flywheel, when you release the clutch pedal. I would investigate these two and adjust accordingly.

Now that you have a truck, I would suggest investing in maintenance literature. (Factory chassis and body manual, along with an engine manual would be a great start)

Good luck!

-Steve

Where is the best place to get these manuals? (toyota?) I have the Ha Ha Haynes manual... (removal is reverse of assembly)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom