Picked up an FJ60 this weekend... to get antique tags and classic car insurance or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought an '87 FJ60 this weekend. I had been looking for a driver and came across one a bit nicer than that, that I could not pass up. It was presented as all original exterior and interior (minus a few interior items like aftermarket stereo, dash cap to cover crack...), and I have no reason to doubt it. It was a southern car before the previous owner brought it to KC about 5 years ago, so no rust on body whatsoever but a few dents here and there. The frame has minor surface rust, nothing concerning at all. Interior is beautiful! Carpet and seats are pretty great. Headliner is perfect. Beautiful bumpers and factory mudflaps still intact.

I feel a bit like now I have become the steward of this fine piece of history and it's up to me to keep it in good condition. I'm considering antique tags and classic car insurance but wondering if anyone went this route and regretted to restrictions. I really want to be able to drive without worry of mileage restrictions, but also probably wouldn't be putting tons of miles on it anyway. It definitely won't see winter roads, so that's puts it off the streets 4 or 5 months a year anyway. I would like the opportunity to take it on some occasional roads trips that could pile on mileage, though.

Does anyone have experience with antique tags and classic car insurance, and have any thoughts on this? I guess I just think it would be cool to get year of manufacture license plates in Missouri and roll around with the old maroon 80's tags. The previous owner had the Missouri vanity plates "FJ60" and said if I looked into it, and there was a way to do it, he wouldn't be renewing that plate so I could possibly use it. I also wouldn't mind saving a few $ going classic car insurance but don't think that makes that big of a difference to me.

Let me know if anyone has thoughts on this. Thanks!
20210529_144923.jpg
20210530_150208.jpg
20210530_145825.jpg
20210530_150114.jpg

Currently working on insurance myself and am waiting for my Grundy policy to be underwritten. They will want to know that you have a daily driver and the insured is not a second car aka to work, errands, etc. But they also want u to use it. Agreed upon value and you can choose mileage estimates. I believe grundy and Haggerty are both insured by Philadelphia.

Currently working on insurance myself and am waiting for my Grundy policy to be underwritten. They will want to know that you have a daily driver and the insured is not a second car aka to work, errands, etc. But they also want u to use it. Agreed upon value and you can choose mileage estimates. I believe grundy and Haggerty are both insured by Philadelphia.
Yes, somehow I got a response today from my insurance broker with a quote from Haggerty with declared value and 3k miles a year. Needs to be garaged and limited miles are only restriction for insurance. I'm sure miles can be negotiable.

The antique plates come with there own restrictions on mileage, being 1,000 for personal use. They would also have unlimited miles to exhibitions and educational events which, honestly, the things I would want to do that would add the most miles would/could probably fall under.

I'm not going to mess with antique tags. Grey area as I like old looks but not old engines, gearboxes, brakes or steering. Ymmv. Im just going to get tags and insurance and drive. No real benefit to antique tags other than inspections not needed.

I know someone that DD with antique plates. Never pulled over and drives it almost 20k a year.

In Kansas, there are no mileage restrictions on Antique plates. IDK about MO.

As far as insurance, I have my Studebaker and a a 70 GMC K2500 listed with State Farm as agreed upon values with coverage just like the remainder of my vehicles and there are no restrictions for mileage, garage, alarm systems, or the like.

So, after looking into it a bit, I'm going to do declared value classic car insurance with Haggerty, with 5k mileage restriction for 1st year. Will revisit milage next year. Only requirements beside mileage is it needs to be garaged and pleasure use only.

I think I'm good with MO antique plate rules, so am going to look into going that route there.

Thanks for your input, guys.

I’ve had haggerty for years and have had great service. I have historic tags on my ‘66 VW bus and have had them on other cars as well. I had a year of manufacture tags (brown MO plates) on a ‘85 Toyota truck back in the day and I did get pulled over and hassled by a highway patrol officer who did not know about YOM plates. He had to research it and then asked for my mileage log which I have never kept. He then told me there isn’t a fine on the books for lack of log so he issued me a warning and to get a log book. Also, last I checked you are not required to submit the log book to that state yearly.
I think in most cases, if you keep a log you could stretch the truth or in other words, classify most things as educational trips or car shows to avoid eating into your personal miles. I’m sure they aren’t going to confirm that you were at the town car show “every weekend” or at the repair shop “every Tuesday”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom