picked up a 1986 for free awhile back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys first post on here and first land cruiser too, picked up a 1986 fj60 awhile back on a free craigslist deal. it had been sitting in a barn since at least 2006. I finally had a chance to get it in the garage today and when i pulled the air cleaner off i found quite the surprise! not only a mouse nest but a snake skin too. after finding that i did not have much hope left. but after i pulled it off and hooked up an aux tank for gas so i didnt suck anything up from the tank and it fired right up. and put alittle gas in the tank and hooked it back up and it fired up and idled pretty nice, one thing i do need is the part is the part that the air cleaner sets in as mine is all rotted and id prefer to replace it so i dont suck anything into the motor. basically im new to land cruisers and open to all suggestions tips and help
thanks guys

^^ What he said, and welcome to the madness. Search function on this website is pretty comprehensive, use it.

There are no free LandCruisers

You only got a discount on the initiation. Welcome!

Nice on the free land cruiser. It will jot let you down.
Now what part are you talking about, the tube that goes from the air cleaner to the front or the gasket from the air cleaner to the carb?

Good score! But she's only giving you head start, she'll catch up and leave you with a lighter wallet real soon.

thanks for the welcomes! the part i am referring to is the whole air cleaner housing, both the bottom part that is intakes air from outside and the air cleaner sits in and the part that bolts on top that takes clean air from the air cleaner to the carb. I will take some pics later and post them up of both that part and the truck in general. im not looking to go crazy with the truck but maybe a nice run around for the winter or just nice second truck.

also just a quick question is it hard to desmog these motors?seems like theres alot of uneeded crap on these (and most mid to late 80s) motors

Free is just a concept

Mine was better than free after I sold off some parts, but that changed quickly. The Previous Owner blew the engine in 2005 and it sat until last May, when I bought it.

I changed every fluid I could find, replaced all the brake parts, soft lines, shoes, pads, calipers. Also, look at the rubber bushings on the suspension. Shock don't like sitting, either. I did an OME suspension change, but that was just cause....I still need to take the doors apart because the windows are painful to crank up and down, need to be cleaned and lubed up, I guess. Door handles on the outside stick, too.

The more time you spend underneath it, and on here, the more comfortable you will be with working on it. They are pretty simple, and basic hand tools get most of it done.

Have fun!!!!

postpics.gif

ok ok guys working on putting pics up today, heres a crappy cell phone one. my cousin is gonna email me the ones on his camera later today and ill put them up. yesterday i pulled and cleaned the plugs and they looked good. i finally got it to idle for awhile on its own, and got it up to operating temp. there were a few leaks, one in the top tank of the radiator (soldered it all good for now), once it heated up i noticed it was also leaking out of a box on the pass side of the engine block, maybe something to do with the heater? i did turn that on to see if it worked. also it was leaking power steering fluid from somewhere up under the front skid plate and it was too late to mess with it. i was happy it can move on its own, i was actually able to drive it up and down the driveway once. (no brakes but it drives lol) what kind of power steering fluid does this take? i looked at it and it looked like regular motor oil to me. i really need a service manual for this any suggestions for the best one? from my experience haynes ones suck.

1214131331.jpg

Check out Gregnash's signature line in his post above for FSMs

ah well i guess thats what i get for not reading well enough, my mistake. i have found those and many others after some looking around. i was not aware they were that common on here or i would not have asked. thanks for the help thou everyone! always looking for input.

the box on the side of the engine is the oil cooler.

Power Steering fluild is actually ATF Dexron or Dexron II (it might be Dexron III by now).

i thought that was what power steering usually used. i dont think it has that it has atf in it now, it looked like regular 10w-30 to me.

im hoping its just a easy line fix, im pretty sure im going to desmog it anyways so all thats going to all come apart anyways

Could actually be the soft return lines on the PS Pump so might be worth while to replace those (think it was like $15 for 6' of new line when I replaced my PSP. Make sure that you get the right PS fluid as it is true ATF not power steering fluid (yes there is a difference) and I believe it is Dexron II (should say in the maintenance FSM or on top of the PSP if you have the sticker still).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom