Picked this up today. 1965 Fj45 barn find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update... The ol F is struggling so I have decided to do the humane thing and not blow it up. Given parts are so hard to find I located a a strong 2F that asked to take over the duties of keeping Roy rolling. Both Roys are still alive and well!! Hard to believe this was 8 years ago. Onward. Question for the purists among us. Do i keep the original F? Not planning on a trailer queen here so not worried about resale. Next question. I would like to keep the 2F as clean and simple as possible. Aftermarket intake and exhaust? The stock stuff is bulky... id like to retain as much as the original look as i can. I did add a break booster and 4 wheel disk breaks so i do have concerns about fitting as well. Just now diving into this so feedback would be appreciated.

Here we go.. Goal is to have Roy back in the 4th of July parade!

Roy.JPG

I think realistically the F motor is all about storage. If you’ve got a convenient spot to put it that won’t be in the way or drive you crazy then push it under the workbench or other good spot. You can always get rid of it later.

You can definitely get the disc brake setup to fit with the 2F.

Good looking rig.

Greg

Definitely hang on to the F. Even if you don’t use it, it could be good trading bait.

I would use the 2F manifolds for convenience IF you have access to a solid headpipe. If not , F intake and a header.

Personally I think it's all about functionality. If certain of the old parts aren't performing reliably enough for you, then replace them with something that works well. On the other hand if you're after a pristine collector's vehicle, then restore the original stuff. You can load up your house and garage with crap you'll never ever use again, just for the sake of passing it to another guy who thinks he might some day retrofit back-in the stuff you pulled off your truck. Do you really feel an obligation as the caretaker of greasy old worn out museum pieces--probably not.

If you definitely have no personal use for the old stuff, see if someone else will buy it or give it away for free, and move on.

At least this is what I try to remind myself and my hoarding/curating tendencies. But I understand there are those who disagree.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. Old F is out and now its time to prep the 2F. Ill start on that this week. Roy will not be returned to original condition by me and I do have some folks interested in a few of the parts that remain in tact. When it comes right down to it there really is not much there. The carb was replaced many years ago and trying to find a replacement proved impossible.

I want to drive and enjoy, If i go full resto route I'm afraid it would take too long and i don't want to go that long not enjoying the ride.

Thanks agin for the feedback. Will update this in progress.

Funny, thats exactly what I am doing. I was surprised, and then not, at what fit over. Thermostat housing, water pump etc. The valve cover "fits" but will need some modification. I have it torn down and am now in the process of cleaning the old beast. I have a couple trips for work in the coming weeks that will stall progress but I'm ready to order parts. Two more nights in the shop should do for cleaning then back together it goes.

Looking for intake and exhaust manifold from 1968-1974 2BBL. Also need to decide on stock or aftermarket carburator.

Yes, 3 on the tree will remain. I Love the dance!!

Neekid 2F.jpg

PM sent. lets make a deal!

Thanks Grog! Huge time savings going on here! Excited about getting the new parts and getting Roy back on the parade route!! Going to keep as many old school parts as possible to retain that 65 look and feel.

Well, much like many projects this one went into overtime. Roy is now a 65 with an 86 2F with 78 Exhaust and intake along with a 77 Carburetor, and 78 Ignition. I got it running last weekend just in time for our first snow! I really took my time with this one because 1..I had to.. I travel a lot and im only home about 6 months a year... and 2..because I wanted to do it right.. Lots of help from Butch Baker, Steve Cramer and Nolen Grogan. Thank goodness those guys are patient.. I was able to test drive it a couple of times and it is a blast to drive. Night and day from the old wore out 2F. Plan is to get the exhaust done when I get back home in May so i can drive back up and see Roy... I think he turns 98 next year... He will love the refresh and im sure he will want to take it for a spin.

2F.jpg

Roy 1.JPG

Thinking of adding OME lift next year.. maybe 2.5". Just get it up off the pavement a little, nothing drastic. Any feedback on smaller lifts is welcome....after 55 years those springs are a bit harsh...on this 54 year old... :)

Check out @DomSmith haloween thread, great write up on the ome lift on a shorty. The 2.5 really isn’t drastic, just did some on my Troopy and it lifted it about an 1 1/2 from stock 40 year old springs. Great to see Roy back on the road!

So happy Roy is back to life!! Looking forward to getting out and about in the Spring. It’s downright zippy now!

I was just outside cutting trim on the table saw and you popped into my head. Then I come inside and find an update from you. Cool

Thinking of adding OME lift next year.. maybe 2.5". Just get it up off the pavement a little, nothing drastic. Any feedback on smaller lifts is welcome....after 55 years those springs are a bit harsh...on this 54 year old... :)

Thanks for the feedback. Glad i started this thread, i look back and see how time changes things, but it does not change the joy that comes from having this old truck around and healthy. Ill take a look at the 2.5" suspension options and make a decision. Will tackle that project next May-ish. In time for the parade.

Got a call from a friend yesterday. Said he found a Cruiser in a farmers barn. I got him on teh phone and he says "its pretty clean, even the pickup bed is rust free".... I said, "hold the phones....did you say "Pickup",... 12 hours later and its in the garage..

1965 LandCruiser Fj45 shortbed. 80k miles all original. The fella i purchased the truck from is named Roy. He is a great living American, WWII vet, Merchant Marine. He has some great stories, drove this rig from Montana to Minnesota when he was a spry 78 years old. He also shared a couple of old war photos with me. I could have listened to his stories all day. He hand painted the rig a few years back, for the 4th of July parade.... Great guy.... this rig is namned in his honor... will see him again next week around a camp fire... lookin forward to it...

Ill be lurking here now for info, plan is to do a resto.... wanna make it look like the other 65 pictured... thinkin baby blue or mint green....

cheers
View attachment 552830View attachment 552831
all hail roy oooooooo… no s*** cool

Update. We decided to come home a month early from our winter travels due to the Kung Fo Flu... Glad we did.. I have many loose ends to attend to on Roy.. Typical break in stuff.. After several test drives i think we have most things sorted out. Exhaust is done so it no longer sounds like a stock car... All we hear now is a sewing machine like noise emanating from under the hood. The guy that did the exhaust had all kinds of things to ask me about Roy... He was slack jawed and told me in his 40+ years working on cars he had never seen one... He did a terrific job on the exhaust... its so quiet now.. a joy to drive.

I had a bit of a leak onto the oil pan and suspected I may have screwed up the main seal. Nolen gave me a couple simple things to check, oil pan gasket in particular.. I snugged up those bolts and early on this appears to have taken care of the drip.. Gunna owe him some curds and New Glarus beer real soon...

Next up will be looking at adding a lift. Per my previous question it looks as though OME will be the way we go with it. Id like to get it a similar stance to our Yellow. 40. Will also look to add rear disk during that project.

Shop.jpg

IMG_6548.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom