Pic thread, 1st gen taco / 3rd gen 4R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured I would start a pic thread for these as I have not seen one listed. I'll start with some of my previous rigs.

2000 taco 2.7 4wd with basic spacer lift, diff drop and 31x10.5-15 bfg all terrains.

96 4 Runner Limited 3" toytec front coilovers with ome 890 rears and diff drop 265x75-16 bfg all terrains.

Please post your rigs with some details.

toyota2.jpg

toyota5.jpg

PICT0245.JPG

With my faithful companion Jameson

IMG_20160124_141723_294[1].jpg

100_3441.JPG

Pre lift wheeling

Last edited:
image.jpg
My ExPo rig 2000 Tacoma Ex-cab. OME medium lift, just put some new shoes on her(BFG AT)mounted on powder coated 4Runner rims. Rarely need to use the Warn winch, the E-locker is the best tool on her. ARB front bumper, Demello sliders. I bought this truck new. I'm planning on mounting a James Baroud RTT on her next.

Last edited:
GEDC0024.jpg

Tjm bumper, 285 bfg mts, demello sliders, all pro rear bumper. Saw coil overs up front, add a leaf in rear lots of little stuff. V6, 5speed, trd with jshift tcase. I sold it in 09. Still regret it and knew it was time in lift to move on. I could sell it for more now then back then haha.
I was looking for one to make the exact truck or a double cab to do a 5 speed swap in but found my 40 when looking a few years back trying to capture the fun times I had in this one.
Nothing can touch the quality of toyotas in this time period.
I only took it easy on the body, i like to keep my junk looking good. The drivetrain went through alot and kept ticking away.

012_14A.jpg

n41801703_30175724_8685.jpg

I've always wondered what the college kid I sold it to did with it. I remember something along the lines of his last vehicle was totaled and he was buying mine. I hope this one is still around somewhere still.

Here's mine. 2001 TRD OR 4x4 DC auto. Notable mods include the Hilux snorkel, HID retrofit headlights, custom bumper, homebuilt IFS skid. Sitting on roughly a 2" lift with OME 883 coils, Billy 5100 shocks (4), and Toytec adjustable shackles for the rear. Worn out 265/75/16 Cooper ATP tires

2016.05.20-0037.jpg
IMG_0391.jpg

Here's my daily, 95.5 v6/5spd 4wd, not one straight panel and it hasn't had a bath in 7 ish years... lol. I really enjoy driving it, these little motors are bomb proof! After I graduate it will turn into a SAS crawler, I think it could be made into a capable rig with 80 axles underneath..
IMG_7169.JPG

Great thread! Didn't even realize there was a Taco forum on Mud until today.

Here's mine. '96 with 277k miles. It is my 'budget wheeler' and replaced my FJ40 when I made some life changes last year.

Currently looking for a used winch and a rear e-locker axle.

A video from Rausch Creek this winter -

20160805_125621.jpg

20161230_202424.jpg

Last edited:
Well flat land, no wind or tail wind ok. Turned into a 15-20 mph east wind on the way home and topped out at 60 or 65. And this was dry no gear food or beverages. So no for trips of any length. For trips the FJ Cruiser will handle it. For local camping or parties the Taco is OK. Camper is supposed to be 2350 dry.

I think if the Tacoma had the V6 it would be ideal.

Here is my recent purchase. Primarily use as my daily. 130 Miles round trip to work and I new I wanted another Toyota. I have owned two other early 90's. When I came across this one somewhat locally I jumped at it.
2001 4cyl, 5 speed. Has 150k on the odometer. Rides very well and I am averaging 21mpg over the grade to work and back.
I would like to replace the front bumper at some point but I have yet to see an after market front bumper that I really like (open to suggestions. I have been and will be eyeballing them in this thread). I will be adding more protection as I go along, sliders and a rear bumper since this truck will be used for weekend camping and hunting as well.
I buffed out the headlights the day I got it. The baked over yellow look bugs me.

Here's mine. 2001 TRD OR 4x4 DC auto. Notable mods include the Hilux snorkel, HID retrofit headlights, custom bumper, homebuilt IFS skid.

I'd love to see what you did for a skid. I made my own too. A minimalist design. I replaced the radiator with one from a 2wd so it wouldn't hang down.

IMG_0843.JPG
1998 SR5, 293K Miles (owned since 55K), Anthracite and tan

This will serve as a "before" pic.

Coming:

Lift, wheels, tires, sport hood, Satoshi grill, headlights, paint(?)

Last edited:
Those Goodyear Duratracs are long gone. I replaced them with BFG KO2s in the same size.

I like the FJ Cruiser wheels but only have them because I bought them with the Duratracs already mounted for cheaper than getting new tires on my stock 16"s at the time I got them.

I have a set of these waiting to go on.
IMG_0276.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom