Pic of '78 VSV? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

studawg

SILVER Star
Threads
I am trying to find a pic of a '78 Federal VSV. Anybody know where I can see what they look like as in the correct number of ports?

No pic, but I believe the part number is 89570-60010. SOR has them for $75 used.

This is the Cali version, but I'm sure it has a different number of ports.

attachment.php

Dont have a flash on the phone but there are seven ports.

Numbered; 1, 3 ,4, 7, 11, 12 and 14.
My truck is a pretty good example for emission reference.
Here is the schematic.
5942207106_96a50e1188_z.jpg

From the 78 Smog Manual.
78 FedSmog1.jpg

78 FedSmog2.jpg

If you are talking about the purple out lined object, then yes.:) Actually there are four ports. Three actually pass by and one (orange) goes into the HIC. Plus all three '78 carbs. on Ebay have the HIC installed. I do have a HAC in a box, but obviously are not referring to that? It is way bigger object.

What does HIC stand for?

6983288691_8d32053cf8_c.jpg

Platypus, you have a HIC on your carb? I thought that was a CA-only. (Little box with three vacuum connectors on the front of the carb, shown near the air cleaner horn in your diagram.)

Last edited:
I think they sometimes get removed :) - I had to pick one up from Mark (MOR) for my Federal when I got the truck.

If you are talking about the purple out lined object, then yes.:) Actually there are four ports. Plus all three '78 carbs. on Ebay have the HIC installed. I do have a HAC in a box, but obviously are not referring to that? It is way bigger...

...you have a HIC on your carb? I thought that was a CA-only...

HICs are on all '78 federal carbs. Look at the inset in the first image of post 5. They *may* be on Federal and High Altitude carbs. The factory emissions manual will confirm that... or not.

In case you still need a photo of a federal VSV. The ports (7) are embossed on the cast side so you can determine where they go using the emissions manual. The little numbers in the second diagram in post #5 are the port numbers.
VSV Fed.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom