PIAA 550 will not fit on ARB Bull Bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Just to let anyone out there know, who may be interested in buying some PIAA 550 drivers, they DO NOT fit on ARB's bullbar. They are actually too big and do not angle down far enough to clear the top bar over the grill.

I guess you coul fabricate a different kind of tab mount, but it would be nice if they just worked with the stock tabs.

Just FYI.

Must be the way the mounting bracket works on the Hellas.

My lightforce 240s are pretty darned big, but they sit a bit forward, so they clear the top bar easily.

Good to know about the 550s.

i assume you are talking about fj80 bull bars? I hope not. I was planning to go with teh 550's on my future 80.

dejablu311 said:
i assume you are talking about fj80 bull bars? I hope not. I was planning to go with teh 550's on my future 80.

Yes, sorry...the 80 bar. They will not fit.

They are about 1/4 inch too big to clear the top bar.

And, they do not adjust enough to angle down to clear.

Sorry Bub.

I just sent them back and am going with the 5250 or 525 series with the clear lens.

https://www.litewarehouse.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_22&products_id=44

Hope this helps.
:beer:

No PIAA's that big can be mounted on an 80 ARB bar, you just have to fabricate up tabs for the lights to be mounted on that lifts them up a little and then they will clear the top bar, barely, but it can be done.

Or, you can do like I did, and come up with a half-inch spacer to put in between the tab and the base of the light. Easy fix, and something I've pretty much had to do on all my PIAA installations. For some reason, those brackets just don't fit a whole lot of applications.

thekirk said:
Or, you can do like I did, and come up with a half-inch spacer to put in between the tab and the base of the light. Easy fix, and something I've pretty much had to do on all my PIAA installations. For some reason, those brackets just don't fit a whole lot of applications.

Perhaps I am way off base here, but...wouldn't "spacers" actually make the lights sit higher? Thusly, coming into even more conflict with the top bar on the bumper?
I would say they have to be set further forward. Perhaps bolt a piece of metal to the extisting tab which pokes forward about 2" then drill a hole for mounting the light.
Mine simply hit the top bar when sitting directly on the tabs so I just opted for a smaller light.

Mine fit fine with 1/2" of spacer, and didn't hit the top bar at all. I'm wondering if I have the same version of PIAA or ARB bar that you do... They might have changed some of the dimensions between production runs.

And, Dejablu, I came up with a couple of aluminum shims, not washers. Didn't want the rust issue, and didn't think the stacked washers were quite an "elegant" solution...

I've got the same problem with the bottom bar of the ARB with my PIAA 520's. If I mount them stock the bottom of the light hits the bar and I can't angle them down at all. Obviously size isn't an issue with the 520's. Will hit the hardware store tomorrow afternoon for some spacers and longer bolts to raise them up far enough to be able to angle them down.

You guys have a completely different problem than do I.
My lights are too big to fit between the top and bottom bars.
They will not even angle far enough down to clear the top, whether there is a spacer or not.
They would have to sit about an inch or two forward of the current tab location.
Mine were not coming in coflict with the bottom bar at all.
Are we talking about the same thing?

Whitey said:
Are we talking about the same thing?

NOPE!!!!

None of us have ever done anything like this so really we are all just talking out of our collective arse's and have no @&@&@&@&in clue.:D

reffug said:
NOPE!!!!

None of us have ever done anything like this so really we are all just talking out of our collective arse's and have no @&@&@&@&in clue.:D

Well, you can count my "arse" in that collective pile. All my clues left long ago. Sorry for the confusion.

reffug said:
NOPE!!!!

Hehehe - agreed! :flipoff2: Your lights are just to damn big Whitey! :whoops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom