Phulcrums m416 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Phulcrum

Supporting Vendor
Threads
The time has come for me to start the long process of building a trailer worthy of the title "expedition trailer".

The mission parameters:
increase cargo capacity
provide more comforts to extend family trips
16-20 gal water capacity
12v charged by the FJ (eventually solar panel)
hot water
roof top tent

the beginning
OffroadTrailer006.jpg

OffroadTrailer003.jpg

the box, as it will roll or slide out, i need to find big sliders...
OffroadTrailer005.jpg

OffroadTrailer004.jpg

the top of the box starting to take shape
OffroadTrailer019.jpg

OffroadTrailer018.jpg

my daughter, inspecting her camping hot tub
OffroadTrailer016.jpg

cody blue looks on
BigBearTripBeachCamp08267.jpg

Wow Man...Great start!! You'll be camping in no time.

Keep the updates rolling in...maybe you'll hit some pool money tomorrow on the big game and get the RTT sooner then you think!

:cheers::beer::cheers:

looks good so far. How are you going to finish off the plywood?

I am sanding, filling, and painting the wood inside and out with an outdoor acrylic paint. the finished product has the box inside except for when in actual use. so i am hoping the paint will hold up.

got some welding done. made room for the box on the tongue.

OffroadTrailer024.jpg

OffroadTrailer023.jpg

yeah it was purchased from a landcruiser owner who had it painted to match his rig, I am an FJ owner, and will painting it to match my rig. even tho i like the blue.

the original pintle was converted to a ball hitch, its stull bolted on the same way. i'll get a pic up.

got some welding and fabrication done.

Photo006.jpg

this is just tacked in with no grinding.

that is alot of cutting and tacking, any reason for the overhang in the front?

yes there is reason for the overhang in the front. i am glad someone noticed/asked.

extra storage space? ...nope.

i realized that if i just add 6" overhang it would be tall enough for me to lay on. so, in time i have the option to add canvas sides that are rolled down during set up to make a lower bed. some 1.5" high density upholstered foam and i'm good! Mostly it will be for stoorage and occasionally for the my daughters, 6, and 4 months. I thought it would also be a good option for high wind camping, as the RTT would be a little sketchy in highwinds.

i probably should hav consulted the masters on this forum first, but i hope it worksout well . again, i am humbled by the ingenuity i have seen here.

showed Ellie the current progress.........

EleanoreLeigh4Monthsold102.jpg

what do you guys think about possibly making the upper lid/roof rack able to lift up about 10-14" to make more room in the lower sleeper?
to clarify, the upper rack is going to be for a ARB rooof top tent either way, but as it stands now the lower level can be made into an enclosed sleeping area for kids or weather too fould for the ARB.

this shows the two levels as originally intended.

OffroadTrailer030.jpg

I also need advice on tailgate style latches.. any recommedations? will be using them to hold the lid down, and in fact the lid will rarely be opened.

:cover:

A couple of questions...

Do you really wanna be camping if the weather is too bad to stay in the ARB?

If you get to much higher do you have to get the ladder extension to get up in there?

Is the tent opening over the back or side? can you stand under it once it opens up?

Did you give your daughter too much wasabi and her sushi? Coz that's exactly what my face looked like after i layered my california roll with about a 1/4" of that wicked green stuff last night!!!

Totally dig the rack concept, looks great!!:beer:

A couple of questions...

Do you really wanna be camping if the weather is too bad to stay in the ARB?"

A:Yes, i do all the time. sometimes on purpose, sometimes the weather just hits in the desert.

"If you get to much higher do you have to get the ladder extension to get up in there?"

A: i dont have the money for tent yet, so i cant do any real fitting. by my calculations (rough guesses) , i will bump my head on the trailer, by an inch. ( i am 6'3") . I wont mind if i have to get the extension...but heres the thing; if the roof is raised it be because we arent using the RTT, so the ladder doesnt apply. amirite?

"Is the tent opening over the back or side? can you stand under it once it opens up?"

A:very good question, dont know yet, as the kitchen comes out the back. probably the drivers side.

"Did you give your daughter too much wasabi and her sushi? Coz that's exactly what my face looked like after i layered my california roll with about a 1/4" of that wicked green stuff last night!!!"

A: we dont know what made the face, except she was seeing the trailer the first time!

I am hoping to have this partially usable by my May 1st trip (see hillbilly hoedown may 1st)

the message i have entered is too short?????????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom