[Photos] What are these rusted parts / should I be worried? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, sorry for the noob question. New forum and 100 series owner. I was inspecting the engine bay more intently and found these rusty looks sections. I was wondering parts these were and if I should be worried about the amount of rust there. Thanks!

F06850F5-8C33-4628-9390-CAAFC0816399.jpeg

9CB00166-6F0A-4947-B4F6-C241CEFD2FC2.jpeg

2A1911CF-34CD-4CFC-B11A-E56C558F64F2.jpeg

Looks to me like upper control arms. Light surface rust is probably trivial on these, but if rust formed up there, I would imagine it being worse on the chassis and bottom areas of the vehicle.

I definitely need to take a closer look at the chassis, but my uncle frankensteined a bunch of parts from non-rust belt cruisers in the undercarriage before handing this one off to me.

Bushing looks f*cked
112C6CEB-621D-4733-9B60-240ED827D245.jpeg

Alright so todo ASAP: upper control arms and bushings
FYI: new control arms come with new bushings already pressed in.

Are these my cheapest option? 😢 it’s okay if it is, just didn’t want to break the bank 😭 why are even OEMs so high priced

Are these my cheapest option? 😢 it’s okay if it is, just didn’t want to break the bank 😭 why are even OEMs so high priced
They’re the *best* option, and cost so much because they’re high quality parts and will last for tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of miles. The *cheapest* option is to buy 555 ball joints and Toyota bushings and rebuild the control arms yourself, but you would need a press and some other tools to do that (purchasing those tools and press would put you beyond the cost of new OEM arms).

Re: (c)rust

Rest of world: if you can't see through it, it is fine.
This forum: if it is colored brownish, replace it immediately (even if it is dirt that wipes off) or assume the value of your rig just dropped by 50%

I would check Partsouq to see how much the shipping would be. Put in your VIN to make it easier to search. They're $255/ea on there for OEM, but shipping might be a deal breaker. Pay attention to the several shipping options to make sure you're looking at the cheapest one.

I have the same thing going on in the engine bay with various items. Some not too bad, but what do we do to slow down further rusting? Some is just surface rust-- now. but can turn worse later.

I have various rust products-- fluidfilm, NH Oil, Corroseal, etc. Any help pointing me into the right direction would be great.

I have the same thing going on in the engine bay with various items. Some not too bad, but what do we do to slow down further rusting? Some is just surface rust-- now. but can turn worse later.

I have various rust products-- fluidfilm, NH Oil, Corroseal, etc. Any help pointing me into the right direction would be great.
I'm a huge believer in Fluid Film. Its gross and smells weird, but it really does seem to like, keep rust from getting worse. My Maryland truck actually looks decent still on the frame after about 7 years of regular FFing even though MD is a salty mess all winter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom