Photos of broken motor mount?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sounds like (literally) I have a broken driver's side motor mount. My fan's getting chewed up everytime I apply high torque, especially when making a tight left turn from a stand still. Can somebody explain how that motor mount actually fails and does anybody have a picture that shows what a breakage will look like? Visually inspecting that mount, I can't see any problem and this is a new part for me to ever have paid attention to.

Thanks!

--JP

the motor mount should be two metal plates with a peice of rubber in the center that holds them together. When mine broke the rubber tore right in the middle but i couldnt really tell by just looking at it. It defintely sounds like thats what the problem is though.

Brian

Ok, that helps clear one point up....that it's the rubber that fails, not the metal....I was looking for cracked metal.....

--JP

You need to jack up the engine to change the mount. When you start lifting the engine, the split in the broken mount will become obvious.

It will look normal except under torque. The driver side failure is common. As a temp fix, wrap a chain around the mount and the frame extension, that will hold it together while you find a new MM. Swapping the mounts was difficult given the weight and awkward access. No pics-sorry.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=58637&highlight=motor+mount

here's a very broken one, you can see the remnants of the chain the idiot PO used to fix it.

Sorry it's so dark, but the sun is going down earlier and earlier these days.

Fred

Last edited:
Is this something one can do in ur driveway, or do u need a good pro shop to do this?

Its a driveway job. Just be careful not to put your fingers anywhere they might get smashed if the motor falls back to the mounts after slipping off the jack.

Nick

I stared at mine for a long time and decided I didn't want to change it myself. I couldn't figure out how to replace the mount without pulling powersteering and smog pump, etc. It seemed like it was going to be a messy job. My local dealer quoted me $200 (book rate I guess) and I jumped at the chance. When I picked up the truck, the service rep said the mechanic didn't want to see my truck again. I guess he had a hard time changing it.

2mbb said:
I stared at mine for a long time and decided I didn't want to change it myself. I couldn't figure out how to replace the mount without pulling powersteering and smog pump, etc. It seemed like it was going to be a messy job. My local dealer quoted me $200 (book rate I guess) and I jumped at the chance. When I picked up the truck, the service rep said the mechanic didn't want to see my truck again. I guess he had a hard time changing it.

Sweet. I love it when a dealer actually EARNS what they charge for labor. IMHO, book rate for time charged is usually tilted heavily in favor of the dealer. It's always nice to hear of an instance when it goes the other way.

I replaced mine on Saturday, took me all of a half an hour if that. 17MM socket with extention for the bottom bolt, 17 mm wrench on the top. There is just enough room to get your hand in with the wrench.

After you take the top and bottom nut off, use a block of wood and your bottle jack under the oil pan to jack it up. After that, just slip in a new one and lower it back down. Done.

One of the easiest repairs I've ever done on my wagon.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I may tackle this one myself. I'm a bit nervous about getting under the vehicle with the engine on a floor jack, maybe I can figure out a way to get some jack stands under there too as an extra precaution. No engine hoist so that's out. But is sounds like lots of people have done and do this repair.

Thanks!

JP

I wrapped a 1in ratchet tie daown around mine and it is working great! Autozone has MM for $69 with a lifetime warranty!

Wingy, the Autozone mount is made by who?

and 36 from MAF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom