Photo Assignment : Lightning YOU shot ..

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by T Y L E R, Jul 4, 2005.

1. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Ok this should have been expected but it still leaves me miserable .. there was a great display of lightning within and on the side of a bank of clouds with lots of vertical development. I grabbed my camera and intermittantly for the next 1/2 hr I made many shots. I think I got squat after 90 frames. One of my biggest problems is that my digital camera seems to wait for a full second or so before it actually activates the shutter and takes a shot. WTF?? Makes it dam hard to capture anything atoll except a docile rhino. So everyone of my shots were blind. I simply waited for a period of activity and then started taking shots every 5 seconds or so.

So besides posting up lightning shots that YOU have taken, can you offer up technical advice for shooting such a rapid and random event?

Appreciate it .. and look forward to seeing whatcha'll got .. :)

TY

2. brian

brian SILVER Star

my digi-cam corder also has a still pic side to it.
    it has a "full automatic" mode, when the "selector" is in FA, you simply press the button and it'll rip pics as long as you hold it. great for action pics.has a simulated shutter sound to give you an idea how many you're doing.
    i guess most if not all digi cams have a delay, some just less than others.

have'nt tryed lightening yet.
    back in the 80's my dad's boss was BIG in to that, had all kinds of his pics in his office.

3. bh4rnnr

bh4rnnr

4. 74fj40

74fj40

there should be a setting that allows you to change that

5. GetsUThere

GetsUThere

I took this in So Cal when I lived there. Thunderstorms are pretty rare there, so I was happy to get the chance to take some shots. Used a Pentax 35mm SLR on about 5 sec exposure. I was using ASA 100 film. Procedure was something along the lines of: Mount camera on tripod and point at a likely portion of the sky. Open shutter and cover lens with black cardboard. Wait for lightning activityand quickly uncover lens. Wait 5 sec. Close shutter. Repeat until running out of film. I shot two rolls of 36 and this was the only one that really came out good. I liked it so much I had a 5x7 made that I keep framed in the living room.

Since it's on paper I had to take a digital photo of the photograph to post it. The actual quality is better than it appears and it isn't grainy like it looks here.

6. Junk

Junk

7. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

The highlighted shot from Junk's second link ... WOW!!

[​IMG]

TY

8. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:

Maybe up around Mt Princeton????? St Elmo area?

9. bh4rnnr

bh4rnnr

Close, we were near Carnage/chinamans gulch area. We did do Mt. Princeton that weekend though.

That is one cool shot!

10. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

I'd swear that is almost identical to a storm calendar I had a few years back.

I even cut the pics off it and framed some for my office (I worked storms)

Eerie how close it was, or did you sell it?

11. GetsUThere

GetsUThere

No, I've never sold anything. I just take pictures for fun. It's good to hear that it's decent looking enough to look like a calendar picture. :) Since the subject came up, I went and dug up the rest of the prints. This is probably the 2nd best picture of the batch. If it was cropped and blown up it'd probably look decent. There are a bunch where there's just the city lights though.

Edit: sorry for how ratty the picture looks. I had to turn off the flash on the digital camera or it reflects really bad. I really need to get a scanner or something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.