Phone mounts and dash cams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to purchase a phone mount and dash cam for my 2016 GX. With the relatively short windshield, I'm curious how others have mounted the dash cam.

Does anyone have suggestions for phone mounts? I'd like to avoid the vent mount but am open to it.

Pictures of both would be appreciated! Thanks for sharing.

This is what I did ... post #52. You could fit 3 or 4 devices on there.

I don't have one, but the obvious place for a dash cam would be just in front and maybe a little below of the rear view mirror.
Phone mounts are a tricky thing for our GX's. If you want to avoid the big'ol suction cup on the windshield, there are not a lot of flat or smooth places to mount one. I don't use my CD player on my Mark Levinson unit, so I just mounted a wireless charger on that and I love it!
Amazon product ASIN B07RW4DSPH

I've got my cell phone mount coming off the lower bolt of the a-pillar grab handle. Built a very basic bracket to mount a RAM mount to.

My dash cam is right of the rear view mirror (as viewed when sitting in the driver seat), with the adhesive portion mounted in the dot matrix portion, just high/low enough that the camera (that's on the bottom of the unit) is just below the dot matrix line and has clear view. This keeps it out of sight for me (so it's not blinding at night on startup nor distracting), but still within reach if I need to press save. I ran the power cord through the headliner, down the a-pillar to an add-a-fuse.

I'll get a picture and try to remember to upload it here.

AD446329-4695-4242-B2D2-E3E37F561779.jpeg
6CF92CD3-8EDB-41E1-BE66-75123646F809.jpeg

On my build thread, this is how I mounted my phone and HAM unit:
Start on Post #44, a couple of pictures down.
This has been a great setup. I have the wireless charger cord going down into the ashtray and connected to a 12VDC lighter socket USB. You can see the cord going from behind the charger down into the ashtray cover.

Phone mount via RAM ball on the A-Pillar handle here as well. I don't use the cameras but if I did it would go in front of the rear view mirror. I like @giovanni approach to a track mount to hold multiple items.

Thanks for the comments and photos. This gives me something to think about and work on.

The track mounted on the speaker grill is a cool idea.

I always like the look of the A-Frame mount, but I am worried about the airbag there.

Was is the possibility that a deployment would send the phone + mount flying towards the driver's face?

I always like the look of the A-Frame mount, but I am worried about the airbag there.

Was is the possibility that a deployment would send the phone + mount flying towards the driver's face?
This is a great question, does anyone understand the A-Pillar airbag deployment?

Glad to hear it, been running mine there for a while now in both the 460 and 570. Thanks for the verification @jmanscotch.

Running my horizontally a few weeks ago for the map. I run it vertically most days so that I can easily swipe text at lights/stops and read emails/texts, etc. I like it on the A-pillar.

oY6hGrC.jpg

Any issues with increased blind spot? What about charging?

Any issues with increased blind spot? What about charging?

Not that I have noticed in regards to the blind spot and I just pull my charging cord over the top of the steering column and behind the blinker/cruise control stalks. Works quite well honestly.

I'm looking to purchase a phone mount and dash cam for my 2016 GX. With the relatively short windshield, I'm curious how others have mounted the dash cam.

Does anyone have suggestions for phone mounts? I'd like to avoid the vent mount but am open to it.

Pictures of both would be appreciated! Thanks for sharing.

SEE PICS

1C6C7258-5B13-47E8-BD37-EF7CB44F2C09.jpeg

05C529C9-0BAD-4B8B-9D31-981963E5FA85.jpeg

F9A52B43-3D28-4AA4-95A8-D14DAC510881.jpeg

I installed a Qi wireless charger in the sliding top compartment next to the USB/12V/Cig Lighter. I drilled a hole just large enough for the USB to fit through and tapped the 12V/Cig for power/ground - all wires got sip tied to existing harnesses. It's out of the line of vision, but with the GROM VLine - I'll get CarPlay in the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom