Phoenix Mechanic - GX Transfer Case - Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Nice to meet you all. I am a new forum member and new owner of a 2004 GX470. Long story short, thought I bought it needing a new drive shaft (dry and needs grease at least and had classic "clunk" sound at acceleration off the line) but my mechanic at ToyoMotors says it needs a whole new transfer case instead. Ouch.

To add insult to injury, ToyoMotors is quoting $7200 to replace with new OEM or $4500 with a salvage case. This is total robbery as an OEM case is $3200. So...$4k of labor for a few hour job? LOL. I am looking for a new shop for a real quote - any shops you guys can recommend? Also would appreciate local Lexus dealership recc's as I will likely need to source the OEM part from them and I know 3rd parties take their fee for parts sourcing from the dealership.

I am in North Phoenix but can travel. Have searched the forum for rec's and have already been in touch with Desert Toy Shop but they are nearly an hour away if there is anyone closer.

@murf at Right Toyota.

We would love to help. I also offer towing service
Great I appreciate it. where are you located/working out of? Sorry new to this forum and not good at keeping track of the names yet!

I am also curious about the diagnosis. Tech is sending me a video this AM of where he says the issue is I will post right when I get it.

@murf at Right Toyota.

I will reach out to them, thank you. Bell Lexus quoted me 8 friggin grand. Almost $6k for new case ($3200 online) and $2k in labor.

TBH if it is the transfer case I have watched a few videos on it and it looks pretty simple. Remove front and rear drive shafts, remove cabin transfer case shift linkage (prob "hardest" part just bc of cabin parts you have to get through...4Runner is nice and easy with just an electronic switch...), unclip two wires, and then separate case from transmission. All in you ratchet out like 16 bolts and swing a hammer and that is it. And if I buy off ebay, I can get a "$5K part" (per Toya and Bell Lexus) used for like $1500...

These quotes make me feel sick so if no one will come off of $1500+++ for labor on a 2-4 hour driveway job it looks like I will be wrenching on my GX a bit earlier than I thought :D

Interesting, my 2004 LX 470 just had the transfer (before I bought it) case redone and front diff (by the PO) PO said it cost him 10k

I will reach out to them, thank you. Bell Lexus quoted me 8 friggin grand. Almost $6k for new case ($3200 online) and $2k in labor.

TBH if it is the transfer case I have watched a few videos on it and it looks pretty simple. Remove front and rear drive shafts, remove cabin transfer case shift linkage (prob "hardest" part just bc of cabin parts you have to get through...4Runner is nice and easy with just an electronic switch...), unclip two wires, and then separate case from transmission. All in you ratchet out like 16 bolts and swing a hammer and that is it. And if I buy off ebay, I can get a "$5K part" (per Toya and Bell Lexus) used for like $1500...

These quotes make me feel sick so if no one will come off of $1500+++ for labor on a 2-4 hour driveway job it looks like I will be wrenching on my GX a bit earlier than I thought :D
Holler if you go DIY. I'll run up there and at least cheer you on, wipe tears, or whatever.

GoshInteresting, my 2004 LX 470 just had the transfer (before I bought it) case redone and front diff (by the PO) PO said it cost him 10k

Holler if you go DIY. I'll run up there and at least cheer you on, wipe tears, or whatever.
haha hell ya. I will holler at you in the next week or two when my case comes in

Just straight pipe it.

my service advisor for our 2004 GX is Rick Johnson at Earnhardt Lexus - he owns one himself

according to him, the transfer case job is pretty involved, so high labor costs should be anticipated - I was quoted somewhere around $4.5K for install of new seals

I'd rather give that kind of coin to @richardlillard1 who is now the owner of Kevin's former shop - the only reason he hasn't done it yet on our GX is that the transfer case stopped leaking :hmm:

That is a ton of coin for a job you should try to so with help.

Just changed my h15x for a new h152 5 speed for $3300 in parts and freight- pulling and replacing the t case in process.

Dive in.

That is a ton of coin for a job you should try to so with help.

Just changed my h15x for a new h152 5 speed for $3300 in parts and freight- pulling and replacing the t case in process.

Dive in.
thanks for this encouragement and context. For anyone who is curious or if your dealer is saying it's "pretty involved" here is a dude doing it on his driveway with a jackstand in a couple of hours lol

Here is a guy doing a (admittedly simpler) 4runner T case swap. He says "Most definitely a DIY task that can and should be done at home." Do wish I had his lift though...

I would look into this

1686389184437.jpeg

:confused: why would the time matter ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom