Phoenix, Arizona - Repair Shop (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some other suggestions for Phoenix area FJ40 repair shops? I’ve done plenty searches here but nothing real recent has come up.

Desert Toy Shop is recommended but too over worked right now. I’ve been on ‘their wait list’ since April and was just told they won’t have room until next year. I’m sure they do great work but don’t feel like waiting any longer.

Nothing crazy going on with my rig, just need to get the steering dialed in…about an inch or two of dead space in the wheel when I turn left but inconsistent, other than that running like a champ.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

what year rig?
what steering setup?

Few years ago you go into the back of Camelback Toyota you would have found a few FJ40s being worked on. Made some changes and now they don't work on anything older than a 80 series. If you look in the Copper State Cruisers section you would see a well known Cruiser mechanic died recently. He had a shop in the Tempe/Mesa area. Sadly getting to the point finding shops doing work on old vehicles are getting hard to find.

I'm more of a DIY guy, and I think the real strength of 'Mud is more helping the owner/operator to do their own work rather than directing one to where best to have work done.
As was mentioned, it's getting harder to find a competant shop. Steering is not really something I would trust to my second or third choice shop.
There are real experts on 'Mud who can tell you exactly what parts you need. Exactly what tools you need and exactly how to do it.
Plus: you can buy some nice tools for what you save on the hourly shop charge, fewer parts price markups, you get to keep the tools, you do a better job than a tech because you check everything 15 or 20 times, you learn a lot about you steering and can fix it easily should the need occur.
Downside: your fingernails will get dirty.

I'm more of a DIY guy, and I think the real strength of 'Mud is more helping the owner/operator to do their own work rather than directing one to where best to have work done.
As was mentioned, it's getting harder to find a competant shop. Steering is not really something I would trust to my second or third choice shop.
There are real experts on 'Mud who can tell you exactly what parts you need. Exactly what tools you need and exactly how to do it.
Plus: you can buy some nice tools for what you save on the hourly shop charge, fewer parts price markups, you get to keep the tools, you do a better job than a tech because you check everything 15 or 20 times, you learn a lot about you steering and can fix it easily should the need occur.
Downside: your fingernails will get dirty.

Agree with you. Driving an old 40 series is getting more expensive and harder to find someone to work on period. Bought my first FJ40 when I lived in Flagstaff. Don't live there anymore but get there regularly. Real-estate is so expensive all I see being built are apartments and multi story condos. Live in one of those probably don't have deep pockets to pay for top notch mechanics where don't even ask the cost just get it done. You also don't have the garage space required to work on your own vehicles. Then you have the HOAs you can't even change your oil in the driveway. In cases like this it's hard to have a hobby vehicle and work on it yourself.

Thanks, guys. I agree doing it myself sounds great, but the steering feels to be above my pay grade for what I would be comfortable with.

Any other ideas out there? Is it a horrible thought to take it to an actual Toyota dealer? Gasp!

As mentioned it is running great otherwise, I drive it every weekend and having a blast just wish the steering was perfect.

Thanks again!

PM sent

There is a shop in Sonoita with one of the best cruiser mechanics in the biz. A little bit of a drive but they may be able to work out one way. I have two cruisers in tucson and they said they would try and work something out if I could wait as I’m out of town a lot.

There is a shop in Sonoita with one of the best cruiser mechanics in the biz. A little bit of a drive but they may be able to work out one way. I have two cruisers in tucson and they said they would try and work something out if I could wait as I’m out of town a lot.

@OverLand Cruisers

Thanks, everyone! I have some strong leads now, appreciate the help and the community!

Thanks, everyone! I have some strong leads now, appreciate the help and the community!
Found this thread while looking for LC shops in Phoenix. My son and his 100 series is headed down to Creighton med school and was hoping you could share any shops you found to be decent. I do absolutely everything on this truck and just finished a total revamp mechanically on it but I may need some support from an Indy shop down in Phoenix. Thanks

Found this thread while looking for LC shops in Phoenix. My son and his 100 series is headed down to Creighton med school and was hoping you could share any shops you found to be decent. I do absolutely everything on this truck and just finished a total revamp mechanically on it but I may need some support from an Indy shop down in Phoenix. Thanks

@Cruiserhiggs @richardlillard1

I own a cruiser shop here in Mesa and would love to help your son out. @richardlillard1 also has a shop and is a great option as well.

We have 3 7x series trucks here at the shop currently. But we are about 3.5 hours south of you. Drop a line if you are interested.
We spoke on the phone a week ago... I'm hoping to find someone who could work on the truck in the summer and have it ready to go this fall. nota ton of items needed. I'd love to not miss fall camping and trails.

My 40 has been to Overland in Sonoita several times. Have been thrilled with their service. Onur is a super good dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom