1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHH--Red Gates hose==silicone?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by sjpitts, Mar 23, 2004.

1. sjpitts

sjpitts

I am ready to do the dreaded PHH replacement. I went to NAPA to get some of the famed silicone heater hose. The salesman gave me some red hose. It was relatively cheap, like 1.50 a foot. He said it was rubber on the outside, but silicone on the inside.

I bought a foot, but now I think the salesman was wrong, and that this red hose is just plain heater hose. It does have a black innner liner, but I think the red is just a color thing.

Anybody know for sure?

On the plus side, the salesman was able to find the fancy "constant tension lined hose clamps" in his big NAPA catalog that were recently praised in this thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=7219;start=30

They were 3 bucks a piece, but should only take a day to get with no extra shipping charge. They also had other varieties.

And one more thing-- when searching the gates web site for info this "red silicone lined heater hose" I did find some info on the gates green stripe versus silicone. The site specifically says that green strip leaks less and lasts longer.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=925&location_id=1175

I think I may get a foot of the green stripe and give it a try first-- see if I can get it on before I use the silicone. I assume that the constant tension clamps work for the green stripe?

Jared

PS Never has so much blood sweat and tears went into one little 50 mm piece of heater hose. We are all probably way over-reacting here. Someone should try a piece of used garden hose attached with duct tape-- it would probably still last ten years. :)

2. mabrodis

mabrodis

I think the hose you got is the Napa general purpose 250psi hose. That is what I replaced my PHH with, it's red on the outside, black in the center. The hose has writing on it that its rated to 250psi, however it's tough as hell to work with, which is why I would suggest something else. The problem with it is it needs to be stretched slightly to get over the fitting, like all hoses do. However this hose says no to stretching, seriously it's really tough, after pounding sockets through it to stretch it, using pliers anything I could think of, 2 hours later I finally got the hose on the fitting, it hopefully will never need to be replaced again but honestly not worth the effort. I would use something normal that will slide on easily, had I done that I would have been done with the whole fun job in probably 30 minutes, not 5 hours, and with alot less swearing. :)

I also used this red stuff for a few connections on the firewall, just cause I had extra, once again, not fricken worth it!

Edit: Just realized I didn't answer whether it was silicone, I don't think it is, maybe the inner layer in a bit, but I don't think any more silicone than what normal hoses have, cool hose for like a air compressor or something, but not a good PHH in my opinion.

3. Scamper

Scamper

Let's see if I can regurgitate this correctly...

Green silicone hose is most flexible and easier to get onto the connectors, but you need the fancy spring-loaded diamond encrusted 24k gold plated clamps so as not to cut into the hose (lined), and to keep the pressure constant to eliminate leaking (spring tension).

Green-Stripe hose is not very flexible and very difficult to get on the fittings, but will last very long (as long as green silicone??). You don't need to remortgage your house for the clamps since you can use regular 'ol hose clamps, and it doesn't have the tendency to lead like silicone hose.

I've not tried it with Green-Stripe, but with most things stiff :rolleyes: if you put it in a pot of very hot or boiling water for a few minutes, it'll soften up nicely so that you can get it on the fittings easier. Use some liquid soap or silicone spray too to help it slide over the fittings. That might make the Green-Stripe as easy to use as the green silicone--just a thought.

4. mabrodis

mabrodis

[quote author=Scamper link=board=2;threadid=13581;start=msg125790#msg125790 date=1080066220]
    I've not tried it with Green-Stripe, but with most things stiff :rolleyes: if you put it in a pot of very hot or boiling water for a few minutes, it'll soften up nicely so that you can get it on the fittings easier. Use some liquid soap or silicone spray too to help it slide over the fittings. That might make the Green-Stripe as easy to use as the green silicone--just a thought.
    [/quote]

Putting it in boiling water is a very good idea, damn, why didn't I think of that. I tried every slippery substance I had, motor oil, WD40, silicone spray, cooking oil, crans, spit, blood, yelling at it, nothing really helped, but I bet getting it really hot would have...

5. wob

wob

[quote author=mabrodis link=board=2;threadid=13581;start=msg125811#msg125811 date=1080067496]
    Putting it in boiling water is a very good idea, damn, why didn't I think of that. I tried every slippery substance I had, motor oil, WD40, silicone spray, cooking oil, crans, spit, blood, yelling at it, nothing really helped, but I bet getting it really hot would have...
    [/quote]

Ack! Now you have contaminated your cooling system with all of the above!!

;)