PHH question

Visit site
I am flushing my coolant today and decided to change the PHH as well but seems to be in good shape

My question: Could this have been done in PO? Could condition be an indication of the climate? been in FLA most of its life.

The main question is do I need to change this PAIN in my A**?
PHH.jpg

Visit site
If you were already planning on it and have the time, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and do the job. It would definitely be less of a pain in the arse to do it at your convenience rather than by the side of the road someplace.

Visit site
I just looked at mine a couple of days ago to see where it was and what condition it was in. It looked the same as yours. Maybe it had a little spooge around the head side of the hose, but not enough to worry about. When I go to do a flush (end of summer, maybe) I'll probably do it just because I have the coolant out. If you have the time, do it. It is kind of like 'taking your licks', or a rite of passage.:D

That being said, yours looks exactly like mine, which I am guessing is stock (original).

Good luck!:cheers:

C6H12O6

SILVER Star
Visit site
Yeah, do it. It isn't as bad as everybody makes it sound. Plus, they fail from the inside out, so they often look just dandy on the outside and are a rotten mess on the inside. Mine looked about like yours on the outside and you could literally tear it in half it was so rotten on the inside of the hose.

Grench

SILVER Star
Visit site
CruiserDan is, as usual, 100% right. That is the original 12 year old hose with (probably) 100,000+ miles on it. It was -not- changed by the PO. It likely will tear by hand at this point.

Change it now at your convenience, or change it later at it's convenience. It needs changed. If you don't change it soon, you'll be wishing you had.

Visit site
I'll add another "change it now" too! My new-to-me at 96k truck has southern miles on it too i.e. little heater use. As a piece of mind item I recently replaced the PHH with the silicone hose kit.

On the outside the original PHH looked like yours - just fine. I cut open the old hose - it had significant wear thru from the inside out - at the point the hose connects to the metal pipe leading to the top of the engine. It was ready to blow within a year or 2 I figure.

Change it now working at home on a cool engine at your own pace in relative comfort, instead of the opposite. As long as you absorb the PHH info on this site beforehand it is very do-able - though being right-handed would help - I'm a lefty so my right hand took a beating - ugh!

Visit site
Thanks guys ya'll talked me into it.

Just got done, was not as bad as i thought but by no means easy.

I would also like to add that I removed the tranny dipstick completely with two easy bolts and added a lot of room.

Bring on that headgasket, when needed of course.

Visit site
Well, I would have been the one nay-sayer in the group, it looks fine to me. How did it look once you had it off? You can cut the hose in half length wise and get a good idea of wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom