PHH OEM style close up pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replacement of PHH (from the bottom) and its neighbor also detailed in the post below. Blew 3 hours with that 2-inch hose piece, couldn't make it work and took the long (52") way around. Be a hell of a lot easier to replace in the field, should it come to that...

Ok, I see the Breeze clamps are back in stock so I’ll probably order a couple of those.

Would it be better to order one of the Silicone kits or go ahead and fit the OEM hose I ordered? (pictured below)

Anyone know if this part is a perfect fit, or still has to be cut? Thanks

1652236165829.png

Just an FYI. The OEM clamps (edit: the OEM spring clamps that have tabs to squeeze) don't fit over the gates green stripe - at least not the ones that I had available when I did the PHH.

Last edited:
Silicone is easier to work with (more flexible) but allows water to pass through (very slowly). Wouldn't sweat it on a 2-inch hose--but I wouldn't do the whole system with it unless I changed coolant pretty frequently.

Silicone is easier to work with (more flexible) but allows water to pass through (very slowly). Wouldn't sweat it on a 2-inch hose--but I wouldn't do the whole system with it unless I changed coolant pretty frequently.
I though ambulances used silicone hoses, where leaks aren’t an option. I didn’t realise they let water through.

I though ambulances used silicone hoses, where leaks aren’t an option. I didn’t realise they let water through.
Dunno about first responders, but I've seen big rig drivers bitching about silicone bleed; the coolant gets progressively more concentrated over time--unless, again, you change it often. But then you're just upping your costs and toxin footprint so you can use silicone. Rubber hoses I removed had been there for 20+ years; that's durable enough for me...

I think I tried the one to the left and couldn't fit it over the gates pipe. That style is my preferred clamp for most hoses. The thing about using rubber hose vs silicone is that the rubber hose over time seals/adheres to the metal fitting and it takes a bit of force/twist to break it loose. This is a good thing in my view. I I would guess the one to the right would work and would be what I would try. I didn't have them available and needed to get things running. I used the worm style cheap clamps that people say not to use and haven't had a leak in 9 + years on one of the vehicles and 2+years on the other. Just don't overnighten them but i think the window of tightness is pretty lenient. Someone stated that the they loosen up on their own but I haven't noticed that - if they have loosened, the adherent nature of the rubber is doing its job in keeping the pipes in place and not leak on my vehicles.

I think I tried the one to the left and couldn't fit it over the gates pipe. That style is my preferred clamp for most hoses. The thing about using rubber hose vs silicone is that the rubber hose over time seals/adheres to the metal fitting and it takes a bit of force/twist to break it loose. This is a good thing in my view. I I would guess the one to the right would work and would be what I would try. I didn't have them available and needed to get things running. I used the worm style cheap clamps that people say not to use and haven't had a leak in 9 + years on one of the vehicles and 2+years on the other. Just don't overnighten them but i think the window of tightness is pretty lenient. Someone stated that the they loosen up on their own but I haven't noticed that - if they have loosened, the adherent nature of the rubber is doing its job in keeping the pipes in place and not leak on my vehicles.
I don’t have the Gates hose, I got the OEM part for the PHH (99556-30100). Do you know if they’d fit over Toyota OEM 5/8” rubber?

If using screw-type clamp, have two sizes ready to go; if using the spring-type, good luck. I was unable to fit the original clamp back on the pipe over Gates Green Stripe. Maybe GGS is thicker than stock?

I don’t have the Gates hose, I got the OEM part for the PHH (99556-30100). Do you know if they’d fit over Toyota OEM 5/8” rubber?
I realized you had the OEM hose after I posted. I don't know if the clamp on the left would fit but am pretty sure the clamp on the right will. As much as I like the clamps on the left, I think trying to get them onto the PHH without deploying prematurely may prove difficult given the tight quarters. I am sure the ones on the right will be just fine.

I realized you had the OEM hose after I posted. I don't know if the clamp on the left would fit but am pretty sure the clamp on the right will. As much as I like the clamps on the left, I think trying to get them onto the PHH without deploying prematurely may prove difficult given the tight quarters. I am sure the ones on the right will be just fine.
Yea I wasn’t sure if the ones on the right were in the same category as the ones people said not to use.

Last edited:
I'm not @NLXTACY (nor do I play him on TV)--but I suspect the length of the bolt on the one on the right (and the tight spaces involved) may prevent it from being used on the block-side PHH, or the PHH2 (throttle body hose) just above it, or both. Have more options at-hand when you go in. Here's a shot of the new OEM PHH2 with Breeze clamp in-place. PHH right next door and pretty much the same situation.

1652394229165.png

And what it took to reach that...

1652394393003.png

Last edited:
By the way, this is how my PHH looks currently; I actually mistook another hose for it when I was replacing them last year. Looks like it has the screw-on clamps so I assume it’s not original.. Does it look in need of replacement? If not I’ll just keep the new one as a spare. Didnt look terrible to me, but i cant say when it was replaced.

7C19D513-FE06-4FE2-9274-914F23646C4D.jpeg

Oh, hey, you've got room there, at least on the non-block side. :) It's the other one that's the real b*tch. It LOOKS like there's room with the PHH #2, but you can only get at it from the angle shown, so there's no flipping the clamp for more backspace...

Last edited:
Not leaking. Not original and doesn't look degraded. Why are you in a hurry to get at it? Maybe wait till you pull the intake or starter ha.
By the way, this is how my PHH looks currently; I actually mistook another hose for it when I was replacing them last year. Looks like it has the screw-on clamps so I assume it’s not original.. Does it look in need of replacement? If not I’ll just keep the new one as a spare. Didnt look terrible to me, but i cant say when it was replaced.

View attachment 3008143

Well you can do it. Nothing wrong with it. But there might be other things that are more pressing. I did mine but i couldnt tell of it was original or not. It was at least factory Toyota.

Do it. Peace of mind. Better than puking fluid at an unpredictable time and place, with steam coming through the DS vent, and having to change it on the trail or beside a freeway at night...

Ozark80:

Be careful, once you dig into it "for peace of mind" you're committed to fix everything else you find while you're in there, and 14 others things so everything matches. It's referred to as LC-OCD (Land Cruiser Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).

So be very careful and warn your significant others that they might not be seeing you around for days at a time if you start down this path. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom