PHH in Salem Oregon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had their PHH replaced by a shop in Salem Oregon (or Portland, Eugene...)? If so, and you would recommend them, let me know who and the price.

I have a new Samco PHH kit and Toyota Red to do a flush, I'm just not sure I really want to do the job.

I had one quote for $400-500, for that price I'll do it myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

For an hour of your time you can save a pile of cash. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Has anyone had their PHH replaced by a shop in Salem Oregon (or Portland, Eugene...)? If so, and you would recommend them, let me know who and the price.

I have a new Samco PHH kit and Toyota Red to do a flush, I'm just not sure I really want to do the job.

I had one quote for $400-500, for that price I'll do it myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hit up one of the Cascade cruiser club guys :D I'm sure one of them would do for a couple :beer::beer: :D

If I had time i would help or do it for ya, but at the rate Im going at it will be august before I have a chance.

I'm in Eugene, It's super easy with the kit... I did mine the hard way back in the day. I'd be happy to help ya if I can.

-Ammo

I'm also in Salem and also have a Samco PHH kit (ready to install). However, I think I'm going to bypass the metal tube / line and just put in a full length section of hose. I already bought hi-temp silicone hose from Napa. It sounds easier to do than the short 4" OEM version.

BTW, I can't remember if draining the radiator is sufficient enough for doing this job? (to avoid much coolant loss)

It isn't much easier to bypass it. It is all pesky.

I disagree. If you cut off the old clamps and just bust off the old metal section, you're talking about maybe a 30 min job with two connections instead of four. Also, one of the eliminated connections is in the "pesky" work location so half the time and headache from that is eliminated. I tried it both ways and the bypass, to me, is the only way to go.

It isn't much easier to bypass it. It is all pesky.

X2 - I agree. If you do the bypass, you have more exposed heater hose. Sure, you can sleeve it, but it's still a length of heater hose that can fail at the worst possible time. If you do the silicone hose mod correctly, you'll probably never have to change it for the life of the engine. To me, it was almost a no-brainer. And yes, it was pesky!

Thanks for the replies.

AMMO & CreeperSleeper I sent you PM's.

Looks like I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the replies.

AMMO & CreeperSleeper I sent you PM's.

Looks like I'll give it a shot.

Let me know if there's gonna be a PHH :wrench:-party in the central Willamette Valley... :D

Let me know if there's gonna be a PHH :wrench:-party in the central Willamette Valley... :D

Really! All this talk of doing the PHH has me wondering if I should make a trip down to Oregon and get you guys to help me switch mine out!:cheers:

I'm in!:popcorn:

I got anxious and did the job today. Took a large chunk of my day, but I got it done without any major problems.

Couple notes:
Removing the transmission dipstick line was helpful.
I picked up 2 pair of long needle nose plyers (one has a curved tip) at Harbor Freight for $10. They really helped remove the old clamps.
Get a bucket wider than a 5-gal bucket - because when you drain the coolant it sprays everywhere (I put the radiator cap on to minimize the mess while draining - which took longer and there was still a mess).

I can't tell you how many posts I read on the subject. I would have been paying big bucks to get my phh changed without this site (or not even knowing about the phh).:cheers:

Anyway, thanks for the offers to help.

I got anxious and did the job today. Took a large chunk of my day, but I got it done without any major problems.

Couple notes:
I picked up 2 pair of long needle nose plyers (one has a curved tip) at Harbor Freight for $10. They really helped remove the old clamps.
Get a bucket wider than a 5-gal bucket - because when you drain the coolant it sprays everywhere (I put the radiator cap on to minimize the mess while draining - which took longer and there was still a mess).

I can't tell you how many posts I read on the subject. I would have been paying big bucks to get my phh changed without this site (or not even knowing about the phh).:cheers:

Good job! :cheers: I may just try to get mine done this weekend... thanks for the tips.
BTW, did you only drain the radiator? Did more coolant come out at the PHH location when you removed the old PHH?

Really! All this talk of doing the PHH has me wondering if I should make a trip down to Oregon and get you guys to help me switch mine out!:cheers:

You don't need to take yours out. Just hit it with a hammer if it stops working. :lol:

Couple notes:

Good for you! X2 on the kudos for this site. The knowledge and willingness of people to help, make IH8MUD the best tool in my toolbox! My PHH is how I found MUD. I didn't even know the damn thing existed 'til I saw it mentioned along with MUD on this site. I had this coolant drip that looked, at the time, like it was coming from the mass of heater hoses on the firewall. I was browsing - looking for help or clues and - bingo, in the "Overhauling the cooling system on the FZJ80" section Brian mentions the PHH. What the hell's the PHH? As you now know, just finding the damn thing takes more than a casual glance. BTW, Brian's a MUD member (Brian894, I think) and lives in the Portland area, not too far from either of us. I've never met him, but he's got to be a helluva geat guy!

Good job! :cheers: I may just try to get mine done this weekend... thanks for the tips.
BTW, did you only drain the radiator? Did more coolant come out at the PHH location when you removed the old PHH?

I emptied the block too before doing the PHH. The block drain plug is a brass screw about 8" to the left of the PHH. You may as well drain it while you are in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom