PHH - Doing a little dance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GXO

GXO
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
gxor.org
No other forum will appreciate this. I had all my last minute maintenance items done at Toyota yesterday. I had a weeping heater hose on top and the PHH on the bottom, needed a tranny drain and fill, t-case, toe adjust, and oil change. Obviously got a full coolant service too with the hoses replaced.

I went with 5-40 Rotella synth this time (good stuff!) and brought all oil and the hoses with me, including the silicone PHH.

All taxes, materials, labor, etc was out the door for $450.

They billed $200 for the PHH and other heater hose, including the coolant swap.

I was pleased!!

You should be I had my PHH swapped by a shop here in town and they charged $570 but since they had never done one before the they cut it down to $270 it took them 6.5 hours to do it.

it took them 6.5 hours to do it.
Any 1 banana guy could do that job in half that time on his back, on a bad day. Most people could do it in an hour and a half. Not sure I'd be letting those guys work on my vehicle.

:beer:
Rookie2

Any 1 banana guy could do that job in half that time on his back, on a bad day. Most people could do it in an hour and a half. Not sure I'd be letting those guys work on my vehicle.

Rookie2

LOL, I've got to do mine but putting it off until I have an empty Saturday. Guess there's hope for me yet!

The dealer in Sioux Falls did my PHH for "free" after replacing the HG for $1700. He noticed it was seeping.

Rookie2
Hey, I resemble that remark! :flipoff2:

j/k

I'm at least a 2 banana guy and it took me about 6 hours to do mine.

My forearms are just to big to get around in there without hamburger-izing them. Not to mention both clamps were facing the rear of the vehicle making them very difficult to get to.

Now that being said, I could do one now in much less time, but the first one was a pain.

Rookie2

Yea I was kind of disappointed in that it took them so long considering I brought the parts and the really well laid out wright ups(with pics) on the best ways of doing it. the 6.5 hours did include a flush and fill but still.

Last edited:
My forearms are just to big to get around in there without hamburger-izing them.

This is why I paid. 6'4" and 250#, I can't dream of fixing that hose without stitches afterward. I am a few bananas up the tree, just know my physical limitations! :)

I'm 6'3 230+ and it only took me a couple of hours with a thermostat and a full coolant flush.

You guy need to quit being girls and change the damn thing. It sucks but the peace of mind is great.

Where can I find technicial info on how to replace this pesky hose before I end up doing it miles from a paved road somewhere in the Sierra?

I'm 6'3 230+ and it only took me a couple of hours with a thermostat and a full coolant flush.

You guy need to quit being girls and change the damn thing. It sucks but the peace of mind is great.

I get the best of both worlds by being a girl AND getting it replaced....hence the little princess dance! :)

The last one I did took about 45 minutes. I've done a bunch. Even my first one was under two hours. Knowing what tools to use and how to use them makes it a lot easier. And I have the long skinny arms needed to do it without too much trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom