PHH Clamps tightende down but...?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
the silicone hose, with KY on the inside to aid the insertion....:D, is now on and clamped down as tight as she will go but the hose still moves around on the pipe by hand. Is this okay? Before I refill the system??
I am gettin' there...:beer:

Silicone hoses do not bond to metal pipes. I have always considered that a ding against using silicone hose. However, when it comes time to replace, it will be easier to remove the silicone hose.

Rubber hoses naturally bond to the metal pipes, thereby being more leak resistent, at the expense of being more difficult to remove.

You want to be carefull to not overtighten the clamps with silicone hose, as the softer material can be damaged by overtight clamping.

I'd crank them down as tight as you can knowing that the silicone isn't going to bond with the tube. Don't recall if I checked to see if it could be rotated by hand. I'm guessing it couldn't though. I tightened the clamps really good. Just inspected the PHH a couple days ago and clamps and silicone hose look great from the outside.

Okay, I'm a worry wart, so factor that in but the combination of silicone hose and the lubricant is going to give you trouble sooner or later. Think about all the bounces and bumps your rig will experience as you drive, sooner or later the hose is going to get too close to the junction of the two tubes and you're gonna start squirtin coolant. Personally I do not like silicone hose for the fact that it never really bonds with the metal ... combine to that fact the lubricant and you've got a ticking time bomb. I'd much rather have the peace of mind of a well adhered hose for the 75K to 100K that even the stock toyota section of PHH lasts than the peace of mind that when I go to replace and remove that hose it will be easy. JMHO, HTH. :cheers:

My silicone hose was "slippered up" with dish soap over 2 years ago...Yet to leak.

I bet I just jinxed myself....:rolleyes:

Yeah, my silicone seeped and needed a retightening. I maxed out the constant tension clamp.

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Yeah, my silicone seeped and needed a retightening. I maxed out the constant tension clamp.

DougM

Doug - So did you end up going to a different hose or has the silicone been good since you had to go back in and tighten it down? I was a little to quick to order the silcone "kit" way back when and now these threads are making me nervous. :frown:

I have to say that I have used the Gates Green stripe for all my applications for many years and it has never failed. Even on my FJ40 that got new Green stripe 5 years ago, that hose looks just as good today as it did when installed.

Since I just ordered all the formed coolant hoses for my 80 from Cruiserdan, you can bet that all of the non-formed hose will be Green Stripe, especially the PHH. I, too, (with no actual data) do not trust the Silicone Hose and would not use it on my Cruiser. For me at least, that Green Stripe is a known quantity and has all the benifits of Silicone with none of the disadvantages, at least according to Gates, who should know.

Andrew, let me know if you come across a supplier for 1/2 inch Gates Greenstripe. One shop did offer to order me 50 feet. I wasn't so compelled.

Rich said:
Andrew, let me know if you come across a supplier for 1/2 inch Gates Greenstripe. One shop did offer to order me 50 feet. I wasn't so compelled.

How much do you need? I have a length in my garage somewhere left over from my FJ60, which has a 1/2 coolant hose at the rear of the motor on the DS. The Carquest near me sells it by the foot as well and I'd be happy to source some for you if you can't find it locally.

The more I think about it, it just makes more sense to have a hose on there that is going to seal to the metal then it does cranking down on clamps to keep the silicone on there ....... even IF there is an edge of longevity on silicone side.

Sooooo, now that I'm going to pitch my silicone, I assume I can still use my constant tension clamps safely? and the link above shows a pic of shiny Gates hose, is this something different then the dull green Gates hose down at the autoparts store? It does state its "new":confused:

Have silicon hose on several heater/firewall hoses and PHH. I used breeze constant tension clamps torqued to 35 in/lbs. Zero problems, I did clean and smooth the pipe ends before installing the silicon hose. All hoses have been installed about a year now.

Well, after what I just went through with that heater hose, the silicone better hold up for a while, cuz I don't think the heater pipe or my bruised forearms could take another bout for at least two years....
Silicone will have to do.
Drove around for a half hour, no leaks yet.... :bounce:

To bad I cannot go back and change the thread title...looks like a tard wrote that...

Montana,

It's been good since. I worried about crust building up under the hose from dried residue and affecting the seal. But it hasn't done that. No leaks.

DougM

Whitey said:
the silicone hose, with KY on the inside to aid the insertion....:D, is now on and clamped down as tight as she will go but the hose still moves around on the pipe by hand. Is this okay? Before I refill the system??
I am gettin' there...:beer:

The kit I bought from http://www.1fzfephh.com/ is at the size of 5/8" which is simply a bitch to install, even just getting the hose onto the nipple took me hours of trying. Sliding/moving the hose is extremely difficult, not to mention after clamping down. It is impossible to move the hose after installation.

What size of silicon hose you are using?

So since I need to do this PHH.
Ideally I should be getting:
60 mm of 5/8" New Gate Green Stipe EPDM hose.
2 Breeze constant torque stainless clamps.
Some serious time in a warm garage.
One large dose of patience.

No need for constant torque clamps for the Gates Green Stripe hose. Constant torque clamps are usefull for silicone hose.

Would the constant tension clamps be more difficult to install?
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom