pharr noise from 3fe 1990 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, 1990 3fe. a strange noise started few weeks ago. Its sound like something is shaking or rattling. ("pharrrr" kinf of a noise). constant frequency but will change with rpm.
I think it's coming from around the engine not inside.

Timing, valve adjustment, distributor replacement was done with no effect. No vacuum licks found. Tried to trace the exact spot with hose next to my ear but no luck.
i cant upload the sound recording, mp3 nor m4a will not upload.
thanks for the support

Thx

Last edited:
Hi, 1900 3fe. a strange noise started few weeks ago. Its sound like something is shaking or rattling. ("pharrrr" kinf of a noise). constant frequency but will change with rpm.

Timing, valve adjustment, distributor replacement was done with no effect. No vacuum licks found. Tried to trace the exact spot with hose next to my ear but no luck.
appricate the suppport.!

Hope you can hear it.

Thx
Must upload video to YouTube then provide a link.

Check the exhaust hanger isolator, near the connection with the manifold. One of mine does this on occasion. I use the stereo volume control to mitigate the problem.

Hi, 1990 3fe. a strange noise started few weeks ago. Its sound like something is shaking or rattling. ("pharrrr" kinf of a noise). constant frequency but will change with rpm.

thanks for the support

Thx
So i uploaded the strange sound to you tube. there is a clear pharr sound, that wasnt there 200 miles ago. hope someone can pinpoint me. thx

So i uploaded the strange sound to you tube. there is a clear pharr sound, that wasnt there 200 miles ago. hope someone can pinpoint me. thx

I hear an exhaust leak, and the typical whine of an alternator.

I'm not sure the sound you're trtrying to pinpoint.

I hear an exhaust leak, and the typical whine of an alternator.

I'm not sure the sound you're trtrying to pinpoint.
so you and Malleus pointing to an exhaust, how do i find the leak? or what is the hanger isolator mentioned?
thx

When the engine is cold, start the truck (keep it in park and the parking brake set) and slide under it and while the exhaust pipe is still cold, run your hand around each joint in the exhaust system and feel for the air blowing out onto your hand. You only have about 30 seconds to a minute before it will get too hot to be that close, so you may have to do it a couple times. If you wet your hand it will make it easier to find.

You can also lay under the truck with it running and use your ears to hear where the sound is coming from. if you move your hand across in front of your face when you are looking at the exhaust, it can help you pinpoint the sound because when your hand blocks the area, the sound will change and you know you can keep looking in that direction.

When the engine is cold, start the truck (keep it in park and the parking brake set) and slide under it and while the exhaust pipe is still cold, run your hand around each joint in the exhaust system and feel for the air blowing out onto your hand. You only have about 30 seconds to a minute before it will get too hot to be that close, so you may have to do it a couple times. If you wet your hand it will make it easier to find.

You can also lay under the truck with it running and use your ears to hear where the sound is coming from. if you move your hand across in front of your face when you are looking at the exhaust, it can help you pinpoint the sound because when your hand blocks the area, the sound will change and you know you can keep looking

You can also lay under the truck with it running and use your ears to hear where the sound is coming from. if you move your hand across in front of your face when you are looking at the exhaust, it can help you pinpoint the sound because when your hand blocks the area, the sound will change and you know you can keep looking in that direction.
Nice concept. ill check . thax a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom