1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petronix Electronic Ignition Conversion

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Mustard75, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Mustard75

Mustard75

Has anyone tried this conversion? Any luck with it? Thanks.

2. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

If you have a 75, I don't think this will work for you. I think the only make them through 74. However, there are a lot of other options from a Mels kit, GM HEI, Newer LC Dist, etc.

Do a search and you will find lots of info.

Ken

3. bsilva132

bsilva132

Media:
    Albums:
    This has been covered several times in this forum. Use the search button at the top of the page and you will find lots of info. If I ever get time to swap in my new to me 2F, I will have the Pertronix ignitor, 40K volt coil, and a distributor out of my 69 F. It may be a while though. It is a good cheap way to get a smoother idle, a little more power, and get rid of the points.
    -Brian

4. green73

green73

Media:
    Albums:
    I also have done this, on a Vac retard, and non-u.s. dizzy. Worked really well. And it works with the an MSD box to boot. Money well spent for the loss of the ass pain in setting dwell and point gap.

5. mustardfj40

mustardfj40

I used to have the Pertronix in the non-usa distributor even I swapped it out for a JTO Mel ignitor because the bracket didn't really fit my non-usa dis. I was pretty happy with it. Now Pertronix is in my spared late F distributor. Yeah, I am running MSD Offroad ignition module and Flame Thrower coil...

/td

'75 fj40, '98UZJ100
    tlca member

6. zetasig

zetasig

I know its been covered, but I have a 75 motor, Would I be able to get a 73 dist. or one that pertronix has an application for and drop that in??

Thanks

7. cardinal fang

cardinal fang

Use an F distributor in the 75 and the pertronix will work just fine. You can get an old f distributor that is vacuum advance too! JToutfitters is just the pertronix setup. You want to use the 2F distributor, it will have to be modifide becuase the distributor shaft cannot hold the pertornix donut/sending unit.

8. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Wouldn't it be better to get an 81 distributor that has elec ign. Look in the tech section under electrical, Jim C's tech info. You can also buy a Mel's kit for your 75.