Events/Trails Petroglyphs Run in the Virginia City Hills April 13, 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Day: Saturday April 13th, 2018
Meet: Maverick Gas Station on 11795 Veterans Pkwy near Gieger grade
Leave time: 09:30

Description:
Scenic day run through the Virginia City Highlands to the historic Indian petroglyphs.

Difficulty:
1-2 Stock friendly trail some rocks in the trail that can be gone around. Some rutting which can be tricky.

Pack lunch

Hope to be there.

Petroglyphs should be doable but side trips might be out.

I did Ophir to V.C. yesterday. Stockers need not apply. Once we got to the top of the first ridge the north slopes all have big drifts, some are 3-4 feet or more deep.

Five of us ditched the stock ish rigs who turned back after we pulled three of them out and they wisely decided to turn back. The snow is bad but the mud and deep water is worse. Mile after mile of sloppy ankle or deeper soup on top of hard pan made the trails a slide fest with knee or bumper deep water holes. (Headlight deep on a stock Disco). That doesn't count the mid-calf deep rivers of water under the snow and the knee or nearly waist deep ruts and mud holes under the snow or running down the road.

Turning around meant 10 point turns since everything off trail seemed to be water logged soup between ankle and knee deep.

The JL on point was on 37's at 5 psi, I had the swampers down to 8 and the other guys were on 35's at 10 except an XJ that managed with 33's after we broke trail. Even with good mud tires, there was no going back up some of what we slid down yesterday.

Overall is was a great day (7 hours from little Washoe lake to v.c...)

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun and exhausting trip.o_O So we have twenty days til this run? Hopefully things will have dried out by then. The week before the trip should have a highs in the 60s:cool:. So lets hope it dries out a bit. Fortunately this run stays to the lower elevations in that range. The creek crossing should be the only mud we cross. Still predicting a good run for stock rigs.:hmm:

Our benefactor Woody has added a new feature, note the prefix on the thread. A "Build" prefix can also be added. This is a moderator only feature but it is pretty cool.

Have it on the calendar for myself and may have a family member coming in their new Canyon ZR2.

May be worthwhile to send out another scout the weekend before to see. My tires are all down to about 6/32s so getting time to replace soonish.

I was hoping to get out and check out the shady spots this weekend. The forecast is for 52 and mostly sunny.

Did you end up getting out and checking things out @Krusty Krab ??? Looking at the weather forecast now it is supposed to be nasty all week with rain on Thursday, Friday and into Saturday.

I might be in Sonora getting a new motor for the 62. 300K is a lot for anything, even a Toyota...

Weather report is looking pretty good. Seems like we have a slight chance of rain tonight and into the early AM but other than that it should be in 60s on Saturday!

@Krusty Krab, thanks for guiding us through the trail! It was rougher than last year for sure. It was a lot of fun @airon23. Perfect weather and good group of people.

Here's the route on Gaia and there are some photos I took along the way imbedded there as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom