PeterTheBeater's Build Log (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll chime in on the coolant filter, I guess it boils down to opinion and preference. I'm running one on my 96' HDJ80 with the 1HD-FT motor because when the engine came from the UK it was pretty gunked up with rust and scale in the coolant passages. It's a bypass filter so the engine won't overheat if the filter was to ever clog.

I've been filtering the coolant for probably 20k now and the stuff that has come out of the engine is incredible. I cut open each filter and check them. I would not hesitate to install a coolant filter if you think you have dirty/poorly maintained block. It's made a HUGE difference in mine for sure and it's cheap insurance. I'm not buying off on them being dangerous (how?) or unnecessary but again that's my $.02 opinion.

This is my first vehicle with a sun roof, I LOVE it. It open almost every day on my ride home from work, and when out exploring. I miss it in the other cars.

Collecting the goodies. I just need the buckets and the corner lamps.

Anyone know who’s bad ass rig that is?

Last edited:
Front, rear and transfer case fluids changed to 75-90 synthetic. Truck feels way different, it’s flows like water.
Installed some lights too...

Grit caught by the coolant filter, double that because some stuff fell outta the filter when I cut it.

Don't beat your Peter to hard :rofl:

Quite a bit of progess on base lining. I think I just have brake fluid and hosss left and I’m pretty set.
Rebuilt my power steering pump, it’s been weeping out of the back for a while. Pretty straight forward process. The o rings and the seal were rock hard (the seal also has worn two grooves into the main shaft, but the new seal has appeared to seal it still *knocks on wood*). Here are some random pics I took thought out the process.

Also took my factory roof rack off. I’m happy I’ve done that as 3/4 of the nutsers were rusted out. I’m going to clean up the rust and drill out all the nutserts. Then I will add some 1/4-20 nutserts with epoxy in case I will want to mount anything else in the future.

Installed some speakers today. I was shocked how anemic were the factory speakers. The speakers I installed are infinity ref-6522ex. Here are some pics from the passenger side.

To go along with it I’ve installed an Alpine single din and disconnected the amp.

Have you replaced the coolant filter yet? Intrested to see the results.
I’ve replaced the filter probably 3 times now, my rig sits at 190k. The first filter I’ve cut open but i lost the pictures. It did have a significant amount of white/yellow mush and some black grainy bits. Overall I would say I’m happy that I’ve installed it.

I’ve replaced the filter probably 3 times now, my rig sits at 190k. The first filter I’ve cut open but i lost the pictures. It did have a significant amount of white/yellow mush and some black grainy bits. Overall I would say I’m happy that I’ve installed it.

How did you rig it up? Would you mind sharing some more detailed photos of the set up?

Looks similar to this set up: FZJ80 Coolant Filter Install

How did you rig it up? Would you mind sharing some more detailed photos of the set up?

Looks similar to this set up: FZJ80 Coolant Filter Install
That is the thread I followed, plus improvised when I didn’t have access to what I needed. I’ve ordered most of the parts from McMasterCarr. I did not make an elaborate mounting plate, but I’ve just used two 3/8 bolts and nut serts. If you have any specific questions you could DM me and I can try to help out.

My dual battery set up, 31 one fits but damn it’s tight in there and I had to trim to bottom left corner. Combined with blue sea ACR (which isn’t wired in to the switch yes but is functional. Overall I’m pretty satisfied with how it came out . :banana:
2449F400-EF05-45BA-8A4B-FF332DE55779.jpeg

23507B64-84C6-4139-A998-ADEA8981514C.jpeg
I
In the future I am going to replace the OEM wires as well, but I’ve ran out of spare time to do those.
AA1BED20-F366-4533-A7B3-C70E773823FA.jpeg

peter did have couple additions
53CB9F14-C124-4607-BCC3-6D257BC75AFB.jpeg

36AD3637-AE9D-4DBA-A2DF-2A1F130EFB5C.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom