Peter's Mill Work Day on Saturday May 30, 2020 @9:30am for up to 5 Lucky People (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaleAle

MUD-aholic
SILVER Star
Threads
UPDATE: USFS will be opening the trails on 5/28, so if we can get enough guys to commit, we will go this Saturday instead. If not, we will go on 5/30 as originally planned/ Who can make it and on what date(s)?

We have authorization from USFS to go on Peter's Mill Trail and clear some downed trees and make repairs as needed. We are limited to 5 volunteers (Washington Trail Riders will provide the other 5 slots). We are targeting this work day for Saturday May 30, 2020 @9:00am. There are trees down, so we will prioritize persons holding Sawyer cards if we get more volunteers than authorized slots.

Please post up here if you are interested and please indicate if you can commit 100% or need to check the schedule with significant others.

Last edited:
Thanks Alexi! I was hoping you'd be available, but I figure you are working ridiculous hours these days.

I should be able to help the 30th. Don't have any chainsaw certs or anything though

I might be able to do the 30th and have sawyer cert & saws. BUT - I don't want to steal someone's spot. If a club member wants to go, speak up - I will be on standby.

BK, you would be No. 5, we'd love to have you join us.

Anyone else who is interested, please post up as we need an alternate for me, in case my knee doesn't start behaving. I'd prefer to have at least three sawyers, so we can spell each other or tackle multiple trees as I'm told there are several down.

I will actually not be able to help out Saturday...

Meeting at 9:30am Edinburg Gap Parking, where Peter's Mill and Tasker's Gap trails intersect.

Edinburg Gap parking is near the top of the mountain on SR675, just SE of the intersection with 374.

Attachments

• EdinburgGap.pdf
    773.9 KB · Views: 181
Ride up from the Luray side was Purdy..... see you in the lot.

FE5D994D-8DA6-479B-9A1F-8B202CFFB5CA.jpeg

A641C8C7-6B4D-4350-B277-96017AE5AD97.jpeg

Thanks BK and Alexi -

It was a great day to be out on the mountain. The flowers were blooming, leaves budding so shade was plentiful and it wasn't too hot. Lots of stop and go, but no real hard labor.

Saw some really nice ATV/UTVs, and a thoroughly overland-rigged H**p Limited and some questionable equipment choices by trailbikers (or lack there of). There were two H**p clubs, one with ~7 vehicles all lined up for a hero shot and the other with ~15 bumper-to-bumper vehicles (sorry, I couldn't take my foot off the brake to free-up some more toes to get a more accurate count). The large group was more than 50% female drivers and most of those vehicles were blinged out, but not typically tricked out with off-road or overland paraphernalia. My guess is they were not very experienced off road drivers, but at least they were out there. The trailing Yukon in that group had a ground effect faring, which Alexi speculated would not survive the afternoon. I agree, because I whanged by IFS skid a time or two on the rocks in a moment where old, failing eyesight and shadows put me at a disadvantage.

Alexi got so overwhelmed by the H**ps, he used the 4 letter word when referring to his 40. BK censored him appropriately and when Alexi regained consciousness, we resumed our work. We left nothing but tire tracks in the trail and improved trail conditions, and a few less pieces of trash that had previously marked the passage of H**pers and ATVers and other lowlifes and social degenerates (present company excluded of course). Oh, and lots of dog barks echoing from mountain to mountain and across the valleys. Unfortunately, there were too many vehicles so its wasn't really safe for the dogs to stretch their legs while we labored (and BS-ed).

Thanks guys!

PS - I think BK got a pic of of Alexi and me carrying chainsaws, making it appear that we were engaging in doing some manly work.

Last edited:
It was a an exhausting day watching people work. This is what our two dogs said

Thanks for the outing. It was a beautiful day and I feel that we made the trails better than we arrived. Great seeing you Jon and great meeting you Alexi !
3A945CCE-E393-43D2-BD4C-164903779AA5.jpeg

B2FC0721-8341-4D03-BBAD-45EE7BED3FAB.jpeg

The dogs done wore themselves out! Priceless pic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom