Petered out - broken pawl - not so merry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My A343F tranny sometimes jumps out of Park when it is under pressure like on a steep slope. This has led to several foot chases which I have been fortunate enough to win. At the time my e-brake did not work for crap either. I dropped the trans valve body and am replacing the Park pawl. The old one in the pic was bearly rounded where it engages so this is not all the problem. The gear it engages into is also worn but I was wondering if anyone has ever pulled this part and if it can come out the back of the tranny. I have the tranny book and it appears the whole thing must be disassembled to get to it. CDan says I need a second mortgage to buy the whole shaft assembly. Anyone else with this problem?

97 80.

Bill

have(had) you been doing alot of winching with the trany in park?

LOL..........I just got the subject line.......... :D

Yes, much winching in Park. I see your point! Usually, I chalk the wheels or spin them in by pulling in reverse before winching. Almost always have my foot on the brake, but sometimes winching large trees out of the way I have to stand by them to see whats going on so the cruiser is in Park with the e-brake on.

LOL..........I just got the subject line..........

Giving away your age?

Bill

was told many moons ago.................don't winch with an auto in park, that said I have done it many of times myself.........after each time I feel lucky I didn't bust the pawl. and I hear ya, there is often no choice but to put it in park.

yours is the 1st I have heard of the pawl going out however

[quote author=Photoman link=board=2;threadid=12746;start=msg117204#msg117204 date=1078761665]
Yes, much winching in Park. I see your point! Usually, I chalk the wheels or spin them in by pulling in reverse before winching. Almost always have my foot on the brake, but sometimes winching large trees out of the way I have to stand by them to see whats going on so the cruiser is in Park with the e-brake on. Giving away your age?

Bill
[/quote]

The question is, who's peter was merry playing with? And when she was caught, did it cast a pall over everything the band was doing...

DougM

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=12746;start=msg117266#msg117266 date=1078767668]
don't winch with an auto in park, that said I have done it many of times myself.........after each time I feel lucky I didn't bust the pawl. and I hear ya, there is often no choice but to put it in park.
[/quote]

Line Locks!

>> who's peter was merry playing with? <<

So Dougie.... When is the wife due back from the skiing trip? :D

-B-

Hi it's Rodney here from Wholesale Automatics. I see this all the time an other transmissions and in every case it is a linkage adjustment or the problem is in the mechanism that engages the Pawl, loose Bolts or bent arm. Seems to me that the Pawl isn't being fully engaged and that the problem isn't the Pawl it's self. Round corners can't cause this because it's not a slip of the edge sort of thing. Once the mechanism arm that locks the Pawl into place it would have to be literally crushed for the pawl to release and while that is possible if it's hollow it would be a first. Even if the Pawl had a completely round lock with no square edge at all it still should not be able to jump. Regards Rodney

Heh...

Doug

Doug - sounds like a shower might be in order or a visit to left hand Lucy, although righty is more tighty.

Rodney,
The bolts were not loose. I looked at the linkage adjustment when I took it apart and it seemed fine. I took the shift linkage off and the could not move the shift arm on the tranny any further toward the Park position. The rod that works the pawl did not appear bent but I will doubly check that later. (had anesthesia this AM- no important decisions for 24 hrs. :eek:) From what you said I don't think I understand the way the pawl is engaged. It appears there is a small spring that holds tension on the pawl to cause it to drop into a cog on the gear when put in Park. I figured the edges on the pawl (new one also) were slightly rounded so if some wing nut tries to put it into park while speeding down the road it just skips over the gear by continually pushing back the tension on the small spring.

Bill

Photoman: Did you ever resolve this? I had a similiar problem at the begining of last summer. It only happened once, and the e-brake held so no foot chase - but still a loud pop! and a slight roll forward. Pretty scary for sure.

I also did some heavy winching while in park with e-brake on just prior to the 'event' but I have never been able to duplicate the problem even on really steep hills.

Just curious.

Sorry, I never put the transmission back together. I did however buy two Line Locks that we used to use in drag racing figuring on being able to lock the brakes this way when winching. Since buying them I found out they make a very $$$ nice brake locking setup for tow trucks that probably could be used. LOL, of course I never installed the Line Locks either so can't say how they would work in real life.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom