Pesky P1780 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I have been chasing issues associated with the P1780 code being thrown out. Exhausted all searches here on mud and completed the tasks they presented with. Hoping to get a direction to go from those who may have been there before me.

Here's what's going on: P1780 will come at random while driving or sometimes immediately when I put it into 2 or L. Zero cruise control and leading up to the codes being thrown I had intermittent issues with it. When in Low gear it will intermittently kick in and out of that gear. No issues starting and except for the burnt out D light all gear selector lights are on as they should be.

Zero corrosion in the connector housing to safety switch or connectors near firewall. Safety switch itself is 100% good to go too. I'm currently trying to work through the FSM troubleshooting, but I am a new to working with a multimeter so it's slow going.

Thoughts on this? Thanks.

I just had mine come on and it had to do with the alarm system. Someone mentioned on another thread about the relay in the alarm system potentially being the issue. I pulled my alarm out and the code went away and cruise control is back.

I just posted this exact issue with my '96. @LuckyLong1720 did you ever get this issue resolved?
Faulty ground with the kill switch connected to my ignition. Lucky find actually, but I narrowed it down to wiring in steering column/dash area. I was driving around with the dash apart, pulling on wires with the truck in the then defunked low gear. I happened to accidently bumped the kill switch which kicked the low gear on.
Months of stress gone in a second.
Start checking for shorts to ground. Especially if you have an aftermarket alarm connected into the ignition.
Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom