Pesky Heater Hose! $250 at shop. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do you change the PHH from where do you remove it? under the truck from the top how can you reach it? the mechanic says he has to remove the intake to get to it.

So the pesky heater hose gave out! and started leaking all my brand new toyota red coolant, took it to a shop and they want to charge me $250 because they have to remove the Intake in order to get to the PHH.

I know you guys do it another way where it only takes 1 hour or around there.

I was wondering if their is anyone in the Los Angeles area or San Fernando Valley that would be willing to do it for me or know a shop that does it for a better price, or help me out somehow. I live at an apartment I have no tools and usually pay shops for labor.

I am gonna order the part overnight from 1fzephh

There is many more detail threads on the PHH and the several ways you can do.

Short list.

Tools needed. minimal.
turn tires towards the passenger side.
jack up driver side and remove driver side tire.
remove the mud skirts in wheel well.
looking down from above the engine there is to bolts you need to loosen to get enough flex to remove from below.
stare up in there to locate the phh.

Another simple route is to go the esctomy route. remove the metal pipe and replace from the bottom to the top with some good green stripe hose.

Like said there is many more detailed threads if you decided to tackle yourself

Good Luck :)
start cursing.
remove and replace.

there used to be a step by step procedure on Slee's site in the tech area that I wrote years ago. Not that hard to do and you are working through the drivers side front wheel well.

I personally don't like that hose you are getting and prefer the green strip from Napa. The hose you bought is a real PITA to slide on.

Good luck

I would guess there is info in the faq, probably with pics and everything. I used the silicone hose from 1fzfephh, and it worked fine. It was hard to get on, but I just assumed that was part of the job. Never did it with another brand/type, so I can't compare. While it is a pain in the butt, I don't think I could pay someone $250 to do it for me, maybe half that, if I had some money to burn.

It wasn't as hard to do as I had it built up in my head from reading all the guy's with no experience and contrast from working on other mechanical projects...

The 1st two engines I ever worked on were 3.0 V6's... It's been nothing but downhill from there:D

I've always said if you could work on a 3VZ you're NASA qualified, if that gives you any idea how fun to work on they are...

I'd say a PHH is a $50 job... But I don't have a shop and pay ridiculous liability insurance.

I did mine yesterday. It is a PITA. For me, the key was to get the two bolts out that hold the metal pipe to the intake. Once those are out, then it really isn't that bad. My lower one never got put back in. Mainly because i was in a rush and didn't feel like messing with it, also because I dropped it while taking it out and couldn't find it. It also depends on the position of the clamps that are on there now. Those could be a bear too. I got lucky and mine came off pretty easy.
Good luck
J

Local shop only charged me around an hour to do the deed. :D
Lucky me. Good mechanic.

:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom