Pertronix with ignitor (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Hi all, I have a 72 fj40 w 76 engine, has coil only, no igniter or ballast resistor, cant get the eng to fire, will putting in a pertronix with the pertronix coil work? The disty is a 76 2f, I read that the pertronix setup w coil does not need the stock igniter or ballast resistor,

Thx, noah

Yes, I have a 76, and ran the pertronix that way before I went FJ60 ignition. The pertronix worked much better than points... until I left ignition on to diagnose another wiring issue, and the pertronix burned out.

Pertronix will work, but the FJ60 ignition works better, and its way more reliable. I swapped the engine side cover, but you could use a late model FJ40 electronic distributor with the stock cover. I installed a late 40 distributor with an FJ60 coil/ignitor in a friend's '72, and it works great.

Frankly, having done both, I wouldn't consider anything but factory electronic if I did it again.

Pertronix will work just like your old points system but require less adjustment.
If you don't start now, pertronix alone won't solve it.

Figure out your ignition and get her running, THEN consider pertronix.
iMHO.

Pertronix will work just like your old points system but require less adjustment.
If you don't start now, pertronix alone won't solve it.

Figure out your ignition and get her running, THEN consider pertronix.
iMHO.

True dat.

so what you are saying is that the engine should fire with only the coil and the igniter and ballast resistor missing? that is what I am trying to figure out. It sound like from the reading I have done that the igniter basically keeps the points from dying.

what I want to avoid is having to guy find a igniter and resistor if they are not required with a pertronix setup with the pertronix coil. I was going to go to a pertronix eventually anyhow.

this thread is where i am getting some of my info from:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/233173-toyota-igniter-vs-aftermarket.html

again, not asking what the best option is or if a later disty is better, yadda, yadda....

just need to know if when using the pertronix setup (coil and disty unit) it requires you to use a ballast resistor and an igniter, sor show both mounted to the coil on a bracket in stock form.

again, trying to find an easy solution and was planning on going to pertronix eventually anyhow.

Noah

Same Prob

I had the same issues and actually replaced the ballast resistor and thought I had the thing running. Turns out I had a carb issue, but that aside I removed the ballast resistor completely and run the pertronix 2 kit with the pertronix coil. Runs like a champ and doesn't need the ballast at all.

Ignition systems work by making and breaking a circuit in the primary of the coil. If you have an older vehicle (pre 78, I think) then the function of making and breaking the circuit is done mechanically by points and condenser. In the newer vehicles, that function is performed electronically by a pickup installed in the dizzy and an electrical circuit mounted outside (the igniter). A pertronix works just like the newer stock electronic systems, but the igniter circuit is made so small that it can be mounted inside the dizzy with the pickup. The pertronix is a pickup and ignitor.

Your 72/76 has a points/capacitor system. If you go with the pertronix ignitor, it replaces the points and capacitor. You do not need a second ignitor.

As far as the resistor goes, if you go with the pertronix coil you can run without the resistor. It will run a little hotter spark and will simplify your wiring a little. BUT, if you leave the resistor and stock coil there, you can always just pop a set of points in if your pertronix fails.

The factory ignitor and resistor are not required, and should not be used if you are using the Pertronix ignitor and coil.

The Pertronix module combines the functions of the factory points and ignitor, and the coil you use determines whether or not you need a resistor. On a points ignition, the condenser protects the points.

...and one more thought since you aren't interested in the clearly superior factory electronic ignition...

If you do go with the Pertronix, I'd suggest adding a toggle switch for your ignition circuit. This will keep you from burning out the Pertronix unit if you need to leave key on with engine off, and possibly provide some added theft protection.

:beer:

Ignition systems work by making and breaking a circuit in the primary of the coil. If you have an older vehicle (pre 78, I think) then the function of making and breaking the circuit is done mechanically by points and condenser. In the newer vehicles, that function is performed electronically by a pickup installed in the dizzy and an electrical circuit mounted outside (the igniter). A pertronix works just like the newer stock electronic systems, but the igniter circuit is made so small that it can be mounted inside the dizzy with the pickup. The pertronix is a pickup and ignitor.

Your 72/76 has a points/capacitor system. If you go with the pertronix ignitor, it replaces the points and capacitor. You do not need a second ignitor.

As far as the resistor goes, if you go with the pertronix coil you can run without the resistor. It will run a little hotter spark and will simplify your wiring a little. BUT, if you leave the resistor and stock coil there, you can always just pop a set of points in if your pertronix fails.

great info! THANK YOU

this truck is going to be a resto, mainly road queen, so backwoods reliability is not that much of an issue. I got to get it running and registered asap.

Noah

...and one more thought since you aren't interested in the clearly superior factory electronic ignition...

If you do go with the Pertronix, I'd suggest adding a toggle switch for your ignition circuit. This will keep you from burning out the Pertronix unit if you need to leave key on with engine off, and possibly provide some added theft protection.

:beer:

my understanding is that pertronix has fixed this issue on the new units????

and fyi, I realize the factory is better, I have 3 cruisers right now and I gotta get this thing up and running asap and street legal, so the petronix is the quickest best bet for right now. I will be using a factory dizzy on my personal 55 resto.

my understanding is that pertronix has fixed this issue on the new units????

and fyi, I realize the factory is better, I have 3 cruisers right now and I gotta get this thing up and running asap and street legal, so the petronix is the quickest best bet for right now. I will be using a factory dizzy on my personal 55 resto.

There are two versions of Pertronix: Ignitor and Ignitor II

The Ignitor II model is supposed to have fixed it, but I don't think its made for an FJ40 distributor.

I remember reading Marks Offroad can supply the Ignitor II modified to work with an FJ40 distributor, but its not listed on his site. I did find this: http://www.marksoffroad.net/1specials/1specials.html

...and his FAQ confirms that you don't need ballast (scroll down a bit): http://www.marksoffroad.net/FAQ.html

You may want to check with him.

CORRECTION:

The Pertronix II is available from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters: http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/engineparts.html (bottom of page)

Last edited:
Guppy, if you change your wiring and put in a pertronix and it still doesn't start then you won't know if the problem is your wiring, the pertronix, its installation, or something else. If you want help figuring out why your engine won't start now, we'll be happy to help. Once it runs, the pertronix installation is fairly simple (took me under an hour including rewiring).

The original '76 ignition used an ignitor and points. If you don't have the ignitor any more, you need to add a condensor across the points (like on '74 and earlier) or the points will burn rapidly.

Whether you need a ballast or not depends on the coil you have.
If you have a '76 coil, then it may overheat without the ballast.
A "flame thrower" coil is a ballast type coil run without a ballast and they get hot and sometimes burn out.

Electronic ignitions are good because of low service requirements, but none of them provide more performance or fuel economy over any other properly functioning ignition. There is a lot of hype in this area.

just ordered from sor, hopefully they are selling the pertronix 2 model, sent them an email to confirm, as far as troubleshooting I plan to get a remote starter this week so I can do more troubleshooting. Thanks for the help.

Noah

I have a 1969 FJ40 and the distributor is a non-USA from SOR. It had points , now has the pertronix ignitor 2. I will never go back unless forced. It was an easy install and combines all the old, big electronics in a small package. My F engine never ran like this. My ignitor 2 number was pertronix 91661.

I have a 1969 FJ40 and the distributor is a non-USA from SOR. It had points , now has the pertronix ignitor 2. I will never go back unless forced. It was an easy install and combines all the old, big electronics in a small package. My F engine never ran like this. My ignitor 2 number was pertronix 91661.
Amazing, finally someone mentioned a code 💪🏻💪🏻 thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom