Pertronix Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Switched over to a Pertronix electronic ignition in my 40. It is a 1969 with a 1975 2F. I pulled out all the points and ballast etc. and installed the Pertronix. I also installed a Pertronix flame thrower. I bought these from SOR. A few days later I saw that the key was left on and my battery was half drained. Can anyone tell me if the electronic ignition is fried and if the coil is fried? I have heard that they can overheat and not work correctly. If so, would this be covered under warranty? Should I get the Ignition II instead? How do I know if it is fried? What should the resistance be on the coil or electronic ignition? Any help would be appreciated.

My understanding is that the Ignitor I (black) is not protected and can fail if the ignition is left on for an extended period “IF” the magnet lined up with the pick-up just right when stopped. With the ignitor I my ignition was left on for a few weeks and the battery read less than 1 volt. Charged it up and it ran fine. I got lucky.

I’ve since replaced it with the ignitor II which is protected. I have triggered that protection two times now. Not from leaving the ignition on but by trying to start with a very low battery from leaving accessories turned on. You know where it cranks over slowly and you think if you can just get it started the alternator will charge it back up but it doesn’t quite start. Then when you get a charger on it you get antsy and try again too soon? Each of the two times it reset itself but it took an hour or more to do so.

The first igniter II I got was dead out of the box. It took a bit of back and forth with Pertronix support getting it replaced. I did a test that I found on the net but support said there is no test. I explained that I switched back and forth with the Ignitor I and II several times and the vehicle ran fine with the I but not the II. They finally sent me a replacement.

I like the idea of the protection of the Ignitor II but I’m not happy that I’ve triggered that safety two times now by trying to start with a low battery. I’m wondering if I’ve weakened it and it will trigger easier the next time. It’s been running fine but I now keep the old ignitor I in the glove box.

"EDIT" Correction. Checking my records, the Pertronix support ticket and my memory, I now recall that Pertronix would not honor the warranty and insisted I deal with Amazon where I purchased it. Amazon was reluctant and insisted I deal with Pertronix but finally gave in and sent the replacement. I'm editing this since I've just now experienced another failure of the replaced Ignitor II after 9 months. This makes 3 Ignitor II failures for me.

Last edited:
I appreciate the help. It doesn't start at the moment. I believe my timing is off. I do have a weak spark which is why I'm wondering if my ignition is fried. I will keep you guys posted on what I find out. I hope I don't have to replace it.

IMG_6813.JPG
IMG_6814.JPG
IMG_6812.JPG

It never started since I installed Pertronix. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, made sure the fuel lines were clear but can't get it to turn over.

You might double check that the low tension wire is fully seated in the center of your Pertronix coil. Roll the red rubber boot back so you can shove it in further. You may even need to spread the metal ring so that it makes better contact. Once inserted let the red rubber boot roll back over the nipple.

I bypassed the ballast resistor cause that's what my vendor told me to do. Might be worth a shot.

3rd thing would be take a peek at your crimp on your ground wire to ensure it caught enough metal. I like to strip enough to double the wire before I crimp it.

Lastly you could hook your ND coil back up. I have a hunch the Japanese ND coil might even work better than the pertronix coil. I am no mechanic and have no proof to back that up, yet.

If it is fried, you will smell it. Burnt plastic, mine left a burn hole in middle of the paper label in your picture.

I would leave the key on, or it would die when warming up. So I ended up switching to the Ingnitor II.

I finally got around to trying some things. I charged the battery really good and adjusted the distributor. It was off a few teeth. I then adjusted the carb and it starts up no problem and without any choke. I guess my petronix still works even though I had the key on the on position over night. Is this normal to not use choke to start the FJ40? I used to always use choke pulled all the way out. It is sure good to get her back on the road again and I might add without the top.

I had the same experience after installing Pertronix. Choke is no longer absolutely necessary. Still the usual, the engine runs a bit better once warmed up.

Glad you got it figured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom