Pertronix fitment issues on 1979 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was 'planning' on putting on this new coil and electronic ignition but when I popped off the dizzy cap and gutted it I noticed the wholes didn't line up at all.

Has anyone else had an issue with fitment of pertronix e-ignitions.

Picture for reference

IMG-1581.jpg

So I was 'planning' on putting on this new coil and electronic ignition but when I popped off the dizzy cap and gutted it I noticed the wholes didn't line up at all.

Has anyone else had an issue with fitment of pertronix e-ignitions.

Picture for reference

View attachment 3009806

Your '79 distributor is electronic (no points) already; why would you want to put in a Pertronix setup?

You only use one hole to hold the pertronix plate to the dizzy.

Adjust the gap to the pickup and tighten it down w a dab of blue locktite

Your '79 distributor is electronic (no points) already; why would you want to put in a Pertronix setup?

Had one on hand and I was replacing stuff anyways.

X2 stock US spec is fully electronic, there is no advantage or upgrade to add the petronix
it is your rig, but IMHO I would leave the stock unit as is

Had one on hand and I was replacing stuff anyways.
Totally agree with all those above that recommend keeping the OEM electronic components. IMO, if you're wanting to replace any worn components, start with the cap itself and a new set of OEM plugs and wires. The 79-80 cap is NLA, but a 78 should fit correctly and work just fine. I think the only difference between 78 and 79/80 is the size of the vent fittings for the air vent. Which brings up the fact that your existing vent appears to be not hooked up. That could be contributing to the crud and corrosion inside the dizzy body. I recommend getting the vent operational. Clean the inside of the dizzy body. How are the dual vacuum pods functioning? Very few originals are still holding vacuum. This dizzy needs vacuum advance to be fully functional in order to work optimally (All these issues can be resolved with an @4Cruisers dizzy rebuild);):cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom