Pertronix / Coil Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
missionsonwheels.org
Let me start by saying IH8WIRING!!!

With that out of the way I'm installing a Pertronx kit into my '78 2F non-US dizzy with a TPI coil...see pics.

The way the coil is currently wired is:

(1)The left (positive I think) post of the resistor has the black w/red (to starter solenoid) and black w/yellow (ignition harness) and is gett'n 12.01 Volts
(2)The right post (negative) is gett'n 11.23 Volts and is prewired to the bottom of the coil.
(3)The top post of the coil (in the pic) is the hot wire to the dizzy and is at 10.91V and also has the tach lead wire attached to it.
(4)The bottom post is prewired to the resistor.

The TPI instructions are telling me to run the red wire from the module to the positive post of the resisitor (1) and the black wire to the to the top post of the coil (3)

This seems to me it would cause a short in the module so I test wired it and got a bit of a arc like when you have short and the wires get warm. :confused:

??? I'm I wired correct above (I did not do this wiring so I don't know, but it runs). Anyone else running this setup from TPI that can send pics or a diagram would be awesome.

Thanks
coil 2.JPG
coil 3.JPG
coil 4.JPG

This won't be much help because I do not run that TPI(?) setup. The pertronix, as you know, only has two wires, red and black. Postive and negative, which attach to the correspokding connectors on the coil. For the pertornix to work properly, the coil must have the proper resistance. The resistor you are using was provided with the TPI setup? Or came with the pertronix? I have been running my pertronix system now for 5 years without one single problem, but, I am using a flamthrower coil produced by pertronix. These coils run about $50 now I think. Of course 5 years ago I paid $35. Is there a particular reason you want to run the TPI setup? Some on this board say they are running a LC stock coil with the pertronix setup successfully, which you might want to consider.

No, it is a simple two wire hookup to the coil. You might want to check the resistance of that setup before using it. The ohms reading on your digital meter. Can't remember what pertronix requires. You can look that up on pertronix's home page.

The way TPI shows to wire it, the resistor is bypassed. I'm not sure what the ohms are on the coil, but I got it figured out.

I've been having a battery draw issue for a while and started tracing wiring and found the black w/yellow wire had rubbed a the insulation off in one spot, causing a short issue. Fixed that wired the Pertronix per the destructions and it runs fine.

GREAT! ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom