Perkins Diesel engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Squash

SILVER Star
Threads
In case some of you are interested Perkins made a variety of diesel engines some of which powered the Nissan Patrol, Mazda and Ford pick ups to name a few. Just might be a candidate for a tired Toyota.

I wish cummins would offer the R2.8/ISF2.8 with a mechanical IP "for off road use" even if it made a bit less power. As well as the 3.5L version. Not sure what Perkins has in the 130-160hp range and less than 750lb.

Some FJ55s were sold with Perkins engines in Australia.. it was a dealer fitted option. I'm unsure what specific engine they used. Given this was the late 70s does anyone have any idea?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Some of the new Kobotas are interesting. Not powerhouses but certainly suitable as a replacement for an L or B series diesel.
They look small physically, another bonus.
This guy has put one into his Wrangler and is very happy with it. You will have to find the test drive video on his channel.

They used this 48.8hp version but it has 3 bigger brothers up to 80 odd HP at 2600

Last edited:
The ADE 236 (3.9l I4) was offered as an option in 70 series Landcruisers in South Africa (1986-1987). It was based on the Perkins 4.236. I think the performance can be rated as "agricultural".

I had a 4BTA 120 in my old 1/2 ton chevy 4X4. It was mated to a 700R4 and It was quite solid. torque like a train rolling over hills at highway speed. It had too much vibration for the old chevy, too many things vibrating and making noise on the inside of the cab(colum shifter, ash tray, glovebox lid..etc..)It was also big/tall, loud, and heavy. I did get 21-23mpg on the highway with it which is great for a longbed 71' chevy 4x4. .........It's been put in a few jeeps, but I think it's too large a motor for applications like that or for a 70 series landcruiser.
Some people are doing some interesting swaps with Mercedes OM606 and OM603 engines. There's a guy in Iceland that has made a standalone ECU for the engine that he sells for around $1300. People in Europe are swapping built IP's from OM 603's into the OM606 and are pushing 300HP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom