performance radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just found a crack in my radiator and my shop (who are typically very reasonable with prices on both parts and labor) want to charge me about $850 to replace the radiator - $572 for Toyota radiator, $218 for labor and $43 for coolant.

I cannot afford that right now so I need to do this myself. I am a one :banana: type of guy but figure is should not be too bad. I have rebuilt the birfs with the help of the FSM and replace the radiator on my old 4 runner.I just want to confirm that I have the right "performance radiator" Is it these guys? http://www.cabeperformance.com/detai...ance+Radiators The price sure looks good - $189. Or is it these guys?http://www.performanceradiator.com/l...arehouses=true priced at $300

Looking at this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=87495 it looks like I do not have to discharge the AC.

PS AZLC I am in Phoenix so if you want to help a fellow 62 owner install a radiator let me know.

My local radiator shop charged $200 IIRC for a lifetime-guaranteed aftermarket radiator 4-5 years ago. That might have been wholesale, now that I think of it.

Anyway, there's no reason to spend $850. Be sure to change your upper & lower hoses, though.

Tinker said:
Be sure to change your upper & lower hoses, though.

Unfortunately I changed them and all other hoses about 12 months ago but as the radiator looked and worked fine I did not even consider replacing it at the time.

I got a replacement radiator from radiatorexpress.com. It was a brand new radiator for my FJ60. A drop in replacement that fit perfectly. It cost me $186 and a few hours to replace. (But, I'm slow and stupid.) It really wasn't that hard once I figured out what I was doing.

You don't need to pay $850 for a radiator!!! You can do it!!!

unless you have a reason to need a shop to replace the radiator, i would recommend doing it yourself to save the cash for other things. it's really straight forward.

use radiator.com, performanceradiator.com or radiatorbarn.com. all three have had good feedback. seems sometimes radiators that are shipped get dinged up in transit, so look it over real good before installing.

For my 62 the radiator from Performance was $238 including shipping. Make sure you get the one with the fittings on the bottom for the a/t oil lines(62). You do not have to discharge the a/c. I think the battery tray had to be removed, but its a straightforward job.

Cheers guys. I will do it myself and save some $.

My 60 came with an aftermarket SOR radiator, don't know the cost but it is higher capacity. Changing the radiator is pretty easily. Drain fluid, remove hoses, removed bolts holding it in, Set it out, set new one in, bolt it up, replace hoses(new if possible), fill-er up. Thats what it entails in my mini truck so i am assuming there isn't that many more steps in a 60 radiator install.

lunyou

It's a bit more work than lunyou would paint,,,,but not 'hard' work.

two bolts that fit in the nuts you can see holding top of radiator frame:
their heads at not weled, are behind A/C condensor
a/c condensor needs to be pulled away for wrench room
4 bilts hold a/c condensor...
grill needs to come out of way to get to condensor bolts
head lamp 'doors' (chromey plastic that surrounds headalamp have to be removed to get grill off.

It ain't 'hard' , just a bunch of doo-dad work....careful with the 'clips' that hold grill in place,,,old brittle plastic, spread open carefully...

I've done mine twice in the 20 years of owning her,,,,last time, 2 months ago.
4ish hours from start to 'cleaned up, tools put away' finish....( included a smoke break or two,,,at least one pee break,,,,)

i apologize for being to easy.......i just took mine out of my mini truck and it wasn't much work.....but it is a different type of vehicle. But the overall gist of it was the same.

lunyou

Is your current radiator Toyota? Can't cracks be repaired on metal radiators?

Southbound said:
Is your current radiator Toyota? Can't cracks be repaired on metal radiators?

My current radiator is not Toyota. I just ordered a radiator from performance radiators and will tackle the install when I get back from vacation.:D

lunyou said:
i apologize for being to easy.......i just took mine out of my mini truck and it wasn't much work.....but it is a different type of vehicle. But the overall gist of it was the same.

lunyou

Yeah lunyou my 1985 runner radiator was really quick and easy but looking at the FSM it looks like this one is going to take some time.

Why are folks removing the battery tray?

I think I took the battery tray out to get at a couple of bolts on the radiator or the fan shroud which I cut in half before re-installing. Might not be needed, was just easier for me.

For those of you with replacement radiators, did your aftermarket one come with a foam strip on the front edge of the radiator? If not, did you worry about it? My stock radiator had this foam strip. Not really sure of it purpose, other than seal maybe??

Fourrunner said:
For those of you with replacement radiators, did your aftermarket one come with a foam strip on the front edge of the radiator? If not, did you worry about it? My stock radiator had this foam strip. Not really sure of it purpose, other than seal maybe??

The more holes and gaps in your core support area you can block or fill up the more air that will be forced THROUGH your radiator which increases cooling effeciency that much more.

AZAussie, did you give BAP parts a call before going through Perfomrance? They were the best price I found in AZ when I replaced mine.

The battery tray needs to come out to access some bolts down there. I would also highly recomend removing the center section of the core support. It makes working up there soooooo much easier.

I forgot to mention. While your in there muckin about I would recomend installing a tranny cooler if you don't already have one. My expierience has been that you will end up having to cut the tranny cooler lines anyways so you might as well spend an extra $60 and get a tranny life extension.

If you wanted to drive it all down to Tucson I'd give you a hand, but this really is not that comlicated of a job.

import silvia said:
I forgot to mention. While your in there muckin about I would recomend installing a tranny cooler if you don't already have one. My expierience has been that you will end up having to cut the tranny cooler lines anyways so you might as well spend an extra $60 and get a tranny life extension.

Do you mean an actual "tranny cooler", or tranny cooler LINES?!
New lines....even through c dan are OUT FRICKIN RAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE! Were talkin a few HUNDRED for those LOUSY STINKIN LINES!!!!! I HATE THOSE LINES!!!! I ended up making my own!
Does a new tranny cooler come with all the lines (if that is what youre talking about), or do you make your own for it?

Sorry to highjack...:eek:

Chicago

You don't have to remove the battery tray, but it makes the job easier. One of the support bolts is under the tray. Mudrak has a good work around. He drills a hole in the bottom of the tray to get a socket on the support bolt. Removing the tray take 5 minutes. There is no reason not to do it.

For me, the hardest part was getting to the bolts behind the grill. THin wall 3/8 sockets and a "wobble' extension will get it without extensive disassembly.

Don't sweat it-this is an easy job. The first time will take 4 hours and the second will take 1.

Do you mean an actual "tranny cooler", or tranny cooler LINES?!
New lines....even through c dan are OUT FRICKIN RAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE! Were talkin a few HUNDRED for those LOUSY STINKIN LINES!!!!! I HATE THOSE LINES!!!! I ended up making my own!
Does a new tranny cooler come with all the lines (if that is what youre talking about), or do you make your own for it?

Sorry to highjack...:eek:

Chicago

The cooler kit came with some line. You can cut the compression sleeve off each end of the exisiting tranny lines and expose the barbed fitting underneath. This is very well covered in a write up on this forum.

FJ-62 tranny cooler install

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom