Performance differences: 02-older, 03-newer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know some on the forum are very loyal to 03 & newer LCs, with the updated dash & 5-speed trans, and some believe their 02 & older are "better," for various reasons.

Has anyone out there owned both? I'd love a first-hand account of the performance differences between the two from someone who's lived with both...not just a "mine is the best year" because that's what you bought. I know, for example, some pre-03s had trans trouble, but on the other side of that coin some post-03s have had nav and AHC issues.

Who's had both? Honest differences between the two? If your best friend was shopping for one today what would you recommend?

well, I did not own both types myself. However, I had test-driven quite a few before my wife bought the 03. My recollection is that the 03+ felt smoother and perhaps (?) a bit peppier. IIRC there was a perceptible difference. Although to put that in perspective, admittedly it was not a huge difference. Minor in the grand scheme of things. Way way less significant than the difference in drive feel between the 80 and any 100 for example.
I would certainly not limit myself exclusively to one or the other type based just on that one year difference in features and specs. But if I had to choose between an 02 and an 03 and if I'd value smoothness, I'd take the 5 speed, everything else the same. But I'd be perfectly happy with a nice 02, after having driven the 03 plenty. And yes, both styles had their own quirks. But I think overall condition should still be the deciding factor.

I'd have to agree with e9999. I had a 2001 for a little while, now have a 2003. The 03 is a just a bit quicker feeling and a tad smoother with the 5sp. Mileage may be a little better, too, but still in the "lousy" range. Newer models tend to sprout additional airbags, which I think are nice. Ignore the year and find the best example you can afford.

I would first set a total budget and then decide from there. If going with the 03' means you can't have lockers or armor or something else you might need, then that should be taken onto consideration. It's not very difficult to spend $10k in mods.

I have both 98(128K) and 03(78k)
03 has a faster pickup speed than 98 but still much slower than the suvs out there in the recent market.
I like both
mpg wise I think 98 is little bit better even though there is a 5 spd tranny in 03.
The leather quality of 98 is better than 03.
My wife drives 03 and I drive 98. We also have a beater Maxima for daily commute.
03 has side airbags, anti rolling and VSC DVD at the back , is a better vehicle for children.
98 has rear differential lock for rock climbing. I never use it and hardly go off road. I heard only 98 and 99 have them
We wait until the 98 hits 200k then we will switch to a 200 series.
I like TLC
Hope that helps

I would first set a total budget and then decide from there. If going with the 03' means you can't have lockers or armor or something else you might need, then that should be taken onto consideration. It's not very difficult to spend $10k in mods.

10k is just the beginning...passed that mark long time ago. :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom