Penny for your thoughts: Selling a AU BJ42 in the US/CA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phat42.com
Hi all,

Just wanted to get an idea on a thought someone put in my head today... I've got a built 1984 BJ42 that I've had for sale since February but had no buyers on the local market. He suggested getting frieght costs from AU to US and advertising my 40 over there.

Quick specs are:
1984 BJ42 RHD.
- 3.4L 4 Cylinder Diesel engine (3B unconfirmed 290,000kms on engine, compression tested 390psi (dry) across all cylinders) with Garrett Turbo
- Power Steering (60 series steering conversion)
- 5 Speed gearbox (fresh transfer rebuild with seals and bearings)
- Front disk brakes (fresh rebuild with bearing and seals), rear drum with integrated handbrake

Modifications include:
- Garret 2052 Turbo - tuned to 13psi (mod plated)
- 60 series Steering conversion (mod plated)
- Recaro seats (mod plated)
- Roll bar (mod plated)
- CRAB bar mounts (mod plated) - allows child seat mounting in the front
- Thomas PTO winch with Dyneema rope - complete but PTO box not fitted to transfer
- Tube guards (wider and stronger than stock) and side steps mount to stock mount positions
- Wheelbase stretched 5" for better ride and flex
- Rear dual swing out - Esky/Fridge and Tyre, LED lights
- Safari Snorkel

Full add an photos can be found here: 1984 Toyota Landcruiser Manual 4x4

Now I've never considered selling to the US because I thought it was a purist type of market there, eg: no interest in heavily modified vehicles. But I understand the modifications and year are harder to come by these days...

so in closing, do you think there would be a market in the US/CA for the vehicle in question? I am happy to organise and provide international freight quotes with any pending advertisement..

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi there,

The area I live in is pretty rich in non-US vehicles, primarily because Canada can legally pull them in sooner, then when they hit the right age, those cars are readily available (I live about 30 miles from the Canadian border on the west coast - Canadian plates everywhere, RHD is common).

At your AU $8k asking price (under $7k US) you are well under the general asking price for a JDM BJ4x or 70 series (generally in the $13k-20k that I see on Craigslist). No idea what the shipping rate would be, but an 84 is also more desirable.... so it's probably within the numbers to work...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom