"Pearl" the HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, the ARB didn’t last long. Wasn’t a fan of it pretty much as soon as it was on, so I put the JDM bumper back on. Gave me a chance to clean up the metal and wiring though.

Excited to see more HDJs make their way to the states. I just brought mine back this spring. I'll have to get a build thread started myself. Do you have the BEBs on your to-do list anytime soon?
I’ve heard about those, but I still have to do my research. Not planned any time soon, unless something changes about them. The 1HD-FT feels amazing compared to my 73 with a 1HZ!

Nice rig, but that battery needs a hold down or it will be a nice piece of toast.

I’ve heard about those, but I still have to do my research. Not planned any time soon, unless something changes about them. The 1HD-FT feels amazing compared to my 73 with a 1HZ!

Well, I forgot you have an HDFT, so it's less (not?) a concern.

Nice rig, but that battery needs a hold down or it will be a nice piece of toast.

@sark, looks like you could add a battery bracket on your driver's side. Here's the diagram and parts if you wanted to stay OEM.

By the way, I grew up in Mass... I'm from Franklin.

Thanks! I have the battery bar (both sides), I was in a hurry to get somewhere when I had to replace the batteries (DOA on import). I'll throw it back on tomorrow, thank you for reminding me.

Also, that's very close to where I am! Small world...

Thanks! I have the battery bar (both sides), I was in a hurry to get somewhere when I had to replace the batteries (DOA on import). I'll throw it back on tomorrow, thank you for reminding me.

Also, that's very close to where I am! Small world...
Check the condition of your battery hold down bar before installation. If bare metal is present then it could easily short your battery if it comes loose. That’s why a group 27M is recommend in the passenger side spot

On today's list of updates:

1. Mounted the driver's side battery "bar" again. Part # 74453-60060.
2. Replaced key fob battery for both of my cruisers. 12v CR1616 for the HDJ81, and a 12v A27 for the HZJ73.
3. Oil change for Pearl, at 182,679 km's (~113,511 miles)
Filter - 90915-30002
Oil - Mobil 10w-30, 10 quarts

From what I saw, either 10w-30 or 10w-40 is recommended for the FT. Any suggestions on which for the future? I use Chevron Delo 15w-40 for the 1HZ, so maybe going to 10w-40 might be better for next time? I like that at least the oil filters are the same for the 1HZ and the 1HD-FT.

Please correct me if I get any details of part numbers, etc. as the build/maintenance continues... I'm going off of "ToyoDIY.com" as well as Amayama, based on my VIN. Hopefully I don't get too many part numbers, etc. wrong.

Happy Friday!

DSC01875.JPG

Last edited:

2. Replaced key fob battery for both of my cruisers. 12v CR1616 for the HDJ81, and a 12v A27 for the HZJ73.
Filter - 90915-30002

From what I saw, either 10w-30 or 10w-40 is recommended for the FT. Any suggestions on which for the future? I use Mobil Delo 15w-40 for the 1HZ, so maybe going to 10w-40 might be better for next time? I like that at least the oil filters are the same for the 1HZ and the 1HD-FT.

Please correct me if I get any details of part numbers, etc. as the build/maintenance continues... I'm going off of "ToyoDIY.com" as well as Amayama, based on my VIN. Hopefully I don't get too many part numbers, etc. wrong.

Happy Friday!

View attachment 3078470

I've been using Shell Rotella 10w30 without issue so far. However, being in WI, it rarely gets above 90 degrees F. If it did, then 10w40 or 15w40 would be a good bet I think.

I've been using Shell Rotella 10w30 without issue so far. However, being in WI, it rarely gets above 90 degrees F. If it did, then 10w40 or 15w40 would be a good bet I think.
Yeah, I was thinking if the recommendation is on the fence, switching between summer and winter temps might be the best option.

Filter - 90915-30002

From what I saw, either 10w-30 or 10w-40 is recommended for the FT. Any suggestions on which for the future? I use Mobil Delo 15w-40 for the 1HZ, so maybe going to 10w-40 might be better for next time? I like that at least the oil filters are the same for the 1HZ and the 1HD-FT.

Happy Friday!

View attachment 3078470

I have run delo, rotella and the delvac all in 15w40

My 1hdt used rotella. The delo had no issues. The delvac also has no issues.

All three had identical oil analysis. Delvac is cheaper and readily available.

Guess which i use?

Before this thread gets too deep, I want to post the relevant repair manuals for this, in case anyone else would like them.

A lot of the links in the "manuals" threads have died over the years, so I've got my own in Google Drive.

Please see the link below if interested, and if it dies one day, I'll try to update it:

In the link are:
- 1HD-FT repair manual - RM437E
- A442F repair manual - RM188E
- 80-Series Electrical Wiring Diagram - for FJZ80, HZJ80, and HDJ80

Should have access with just the link, but feel free to request access if it does ask for it.

ARB bar is the superior bumper, provides more protection and is stronger. Why risk damaging your 'special' rig with an inferior bar just because you like how it looks better?

Minor update for Pearl:

Looked into one of the VX trim options - power retractable mirrors. Push button option on a '95 cruiser, that I honestly just realized was there only recently.

The left mirror struggled to retract, and apparently the motor in the mirror has a small plastic piece that tends to break. Tore the mirror down, and it works fine. I'm guessing the motor is either weaker than in 1995, or there's some other cleaning in the moving parts that needs to happen to get it smooth again.

CD777578-9EE3-4659-9AA6-525CFE75EFD3.jpg

And in other news, I recently started a new position for work last month. They've had an "abandoned-by-customer" Cruiser for a number of years, and as of now, I am unofficially taking it over...

She's a 1986 FJ60, 2F motor, 4-speed manual. Brand new full exhaust, and the interior is an absolute mess. For New England, it's surprisingly not a rusted pile of junk.

Just needs some love :)

IMG_9073.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom